Service engine light

I just started my car and it sounded ok, then i put it into reverse and it rumbled alot, then in neutral it was fine then i put it into drive and it rumbled as i started to pull away. then the service
engine light came on. now since it only shakes and sounds bad when its in gear, is this an engine problem or a transmission problem? HELP PLEASE
Help, help what?, what car?, what is the engine code from the check engine lite?, back up here and get the required info.

-
sorry my bad, its a 2000 grand am se 4 door v6, i dont have any engine codes, here in canada there are no auto zones to get a free diagnosis.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:44:12 -0700, tha_infamous snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Then you need to find someone to read the code. Without it, all you are doing is half-assed guessing.
The service light is illumined anytime the microprocessor is operating outside of it design parameters and thus could be polluting. I would suggest one take the vehicle to a dealership, where they have the proper equipment to analyze and correct the condition leading to the light being illuminated. The condition could be a simple as a fouled sparkplug
mike

my car seems to be running fine when im at speed, when i hit the gas it studders then goes away, when i get up to about 50 the service engine light goes from solid on to flashing? what does this mean?
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:02:48 -0700, Jmoneyy

Probably means it's misfiring. Take it to someone who can read the diagnostic codes. Continuing to drive it with this symptom can lead to damage.

Read Shep's answer above. Now go back and read it a few more times. Do you understand what he is saying?
If you understand that then go back and start a thread of your own rather than hijack someone else's. It is easier for people to give educated guesses to one problem in a thread as they get confused when multiple people post different problems in one thread.....
thanks all, i figured it out. it was misfiring. that was due to 2 fried spark plug wires. replaced the 2 wires and my car runs fine and the S.E.S. light went out. thanks for the suggestions.

I think it was the same person. Double check the e-mail addresses. He just added a nym.