Steering Question

I changed the turn signal switch a little while back, any my steering hasn't been the same. The column now moves up and down, and the transmission shifter doesn't stay exactly where it should stay - the
linkage is still okay. The wife is complaining that the car is completely unsafe; so I would like to know what I messed up.
Any ideas? Vuarra
"Vuarra" wrote

It's hard to say unless we know how far down into the column you went. I suppose it's possible that it's just coincidental and the tilt column bolts are loose. It is a tilt column, right? If so, you don't need to go that far down into the column to replace the signal switch, but who knows how are you went.
Ian
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 06:23:18 GMT, "shiden_kai"

Yeah, it's a tilt column... I don't think I went to those bolts, but there's always the possibility :)
At least I know what to look for - thanks :) Vuarra
Re: Steering Question Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Wed, Jan 7, 2004, 12:38am (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net (Vuarra) On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 06:23:18 GMT, "shiden_kai"
I changed the turn signal switch a little while back, any my steering hasn't been the same. The column now moves up and down, and the transmission shifter doesn't stay exactly where it should stay - the linkage is still okay. The wife is complaining that the car is completely unsafe; so I would like to know what I messed up. It's hard to say unless we know how far down into the column you went. I suppose it's possible that it's just coincidental and the tilt column bolts are loose. It is a tilt column, right? If so, you don't need to go that far down into the column to replace the signal switch, but who knows how are you went. Ian Yeah, it's a tilt column... I don't think I went to those bolts, but there's always the possibility :) At least I know what to look for - thanks :) Vuarra Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur. (That which is said in Latin sounds profound.)
Sounds like he didnt compress the spring back down when he put the steering wheel back on.. If it wasnt loose before and you didnt pull out the side pins for the tilt it should be alright ...But if you didnt compress the spring back down you will have excessive play in you wheel and all of the problems you descibe...On the steering shaft you wll see little notches where the retianer clip goes you need to copress the spring and put the clip on that notch to hold it down...This sounds too much like the first time i pulled apart a colum:) Steve C
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 06:07:56 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

Would the same thing happen if the retaining clip were to be damaged and bent slightly, so that the ring did not fully engage the notch? I certainly did compress the spring (a royal PITA), but I seem to remember that the ring didn't fit completely flush.
. Vuarra
Re: Steering Question Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Thu, Jan 8, 2004, 1:08am (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net (Vuarra) On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 06:07:56 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote: Sounds like he didnt compress the spring back down when he put the steering wheel back on.. If it wasnt loose before and you didnt pull out the side pins for the tilt it should be alright ...But if you didnt compress the spring back down you will have excessive play in you wheel and all of the problems you descibe...On the steering shaft you wll see little notches where the retianer clip goes you need to copress the spring and put the clip on that notch to hold it down...This sounds too much like the first time i pulled apart a colum:) Steve C Would the same thing happen if the retaining clip were to be damaged and bent slightly, so that the ring did not fully engage the notch? I certainly did compress the spring (a royal PITA), but I seem to remember that the ring didn't fit completely flush. Vuarra Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur. (That which is said in Latin sounds profound.)
It might ....There are two notches on the shaft did you get it on the bottom one ? If if didnt seat properly in the notch when you put on your wheel it may have popped back up... Steve C
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 05:12:51 -0600 (CST), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

That might be what happened... I'll have to tear apart the column and replace the snap ring. *sigh* Vuarra
"Vuarra" wrote

It should be flush....I know that sometimes the bearings and the upper race in the steering column get a little cocked and you can't push the lock plate all the way down. Maybe something to do with this...
Ian