Turn signal switch on steering column

The flasher has power to it all the time. It waits until it senses that a lamp load has been connected and then begins to pulse.

Since one side works, the flasher is OK. Either the switch is bad on one side or the lamps/wiring on that side are bad.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I'm hooked my steering column back up on my buggy tonight (has an original beetle steering column I believe) and the left turn signal flashes, but the other one does not. Any ideas on this one? When i switch it to the one that does flash, the voltage jumps around as expected, at the fuse box, which transfers power to the signals up front and back. When i switch it to the side that doesn't work there is just a solid 5.9 volts, no fluctuation like the side that is working. How exactly does the turn signal relay work. Its an older canister-style relay, with 3 poles on one side, and a ground on the other end (I think it should be ground). The side that doesn't work, I wonder why its just sending a solid 5.9 volts to the fuse block. Do light have to be hooked up to draw the power to trigger the relay to work? I'm just uncertain how the turn signal flasher/relay works.

Reply to
Steve Gift

Yes, the flasher sends a ground to the indicator lamp but ONLY when it detects the rated current of both front and rear bulbs. If one bulb is burned out, the flasher may send just one pulse.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to