Replacing turn signal switch

Given the risk vs. benefit in cost, any experience with getting a used turn signal switch for a 1990 K1500. I'm still trying to track down a short in the electrical system and can't find any obvious damaged wires. I thought about replacing the turn signal switch but new ones appear to be very expensive.

Should I avoid used parts when replacing it? What years will work in a 1990 (with tilt wheel and cruise control)? Who has the cheapest online prices for such items? (I couldn't find turn signal switches listed on the most common sites (summit, jegs, chevypartspro, etc.)

Any help always appreciated! Thanks!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Urbin

I replaced one as did my father, I got a new one from a salvage yard that sold new aftermarket parts I recall it costing around $35. If you can find a local place that deals in aftermarket parts you should be able to find one for about that. I don't know about the used ones though. If you go to the dealer though I suspect they want upwards of $100 for the same part. My 99 turnsignal looks exactly like my old 88 but I don't know about the harness for it. Word to the wise tie a good sized string to the old harness when you pull it out. Then you can guide the new one through the same path instead of spending 1-2 hours screwing around trying to get it to follow the same path and not snag on anything

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Auto zone 29.99 check on line I think I got one there

Reply to
Jeff