stupid SUV driver tricks

Page 1 of 2
My wife and I were driving 5 mph above the speed limit driving towards Lowe's today in our Venture, comfortably 3 seconds behind the car in front. A Lincoln Navigator appears on our ass, about 4 feet away, and stays there
about 5 seconds before whipping to the left lane (no signal), then pulls ahead of me, whips into the space (no signal) between me and the car up front, he fishtails a bit (due to the Navigator's pisspoor handling), then he turns into Lowe's (again no signal). So we have tailgating, 3 turns/lane changes with no turn signals, reckless/aggressive driving all so he could get in front of me and save maybe 2 seconds. Throw in the fact that this person has $55,000 to drop on an SUV; it all just makes you feel shiny and happy about these folks! SUV drivers: you can't live with 'em, and you can't saw their heads off with a chainsaw (even though you'd love to).
No, I'm not jealous, just sick of SOB's and their stupid SUV's.
Justin wrote in alt.autos.gm

Years ago, before the term SUV was invented, you had only a few of what are now SUV's, and the drivers were just like everyone else. Then came the SUV craze, and suddenly the bullies on the road have decided that these are the vehicles to drive. I was driving on a 2 lane freeway following the proper distance, when an SUV came right up on my tail and sat there until I moved over, and then did the same for the car in front of me. I have seen similar behavior time after time. And when the driver gets out of their bully machine, they are invariably rather short and skinny. I guess the use their car to make up for their own perceived lack.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Justin wrote:

I've had the same thing done to me by a Volvo, Honda minivan, etc. You can't single out one type of vehicle.

Yeah but when the driver's in a car that gets 12 mpg it makes it worse. Plus the Navigator was slightly fishtailing when it made that stupid manuever to get in front of me, a car wouldn't have done that as much, lower center of gravity.
Justin wrote:

Stop listening to the media. They don't get 12mpg. The 79 Blazer I drove when I was young got 14 and it was bigger than most SUV's today. The Honda minivan that cut in front of me recently fishtailed too, same as the Honda civic with the wing and coffee can sized exhaust tip. The 92 Plymouth Voyager AWD I drove got 14Mpg city, I made the mistake of buying a minivan when I should have bought an SUV and suffered with it for years.

Stop listening to Madison Avenue. SUV's are not performance vehicles and they don't handle like sports cars. What you see on the commercials are blatant lies.
You cannot pass a Porsche on a winding mountain road while pulling an airstream trailer unless the driver in the Porsche is asleep.
Drag racing 4wd pickups while pulling trailers is for morons.
The Mazda SUV does not out handle thier MX-6 sports car.
Driving off a paved rode at 80 mph is just plain stupid.
Unfortunately, the average american consumer is pretty much a moron and damn stupid these days.
GJ
George Jetson wrote:

I never said an SUV was a performance vehicle ??
George Jetson wrote in alt.autos.gm

And is often the result of trying to make the SUV do the above things. :-)
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.

damn
Nothing wrong with two 4 wheel drive trucks towing trailers doing a little racing.
We used to race the old 90 F-Super Duty roll back tow truck (460 FI/ 5 Speed/ 5.13 rear gears) anagist a buddy's 89 F-350 Roll Back (7.3 TD/ Speed/4.88 rear gears). Both trucks had 19 foot Holmes roll back beds. We would get a 2 cars on each, one on the bed, one on the stinger, and see which truck could win.
Got to love the games us RedNecks play. Charles
IF I felt the way you do about SUV's I would never buy one, if I were you. That is what's nice about the free market we have in the US. One can buy whatever they want, need and can afford no mater what someone else believes they may want, need and can afford. ;)
mike hunt
Justin wrote:

WTF does the mileage of a vehicle have to do with the acceptability of getting cut off? so if you're driving an Insight or a Prius is perfectly ok to cut people off? sh*t, my 3/4 ton 4wd truck gets better mileage (15) than my sister's AWD minivan (12 with a tail wind).
-Bret
Eugene wrote in alt.autos.gm

signal),
feel
'em,
love
Of course, one big difference is that if the Volvo or Honda rear ends you, the damage will probably be minimal. If the SUV does it, he will probably drive up and over your back end, trapping everyone inside so that ensuing fire will kill you and your passengers. Adn there is a major psychological thing going when you look in your rear view mirror and see nothing but the bottom of a bumper 6 inches from your back window, as opposed to seeing the face of the person.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Dick C wrote:

So you should complain about all semi's and buses. School buses are the worst you can park a Honda under the read overhang, we need to ban them too. Funny thing is I drive an S10, small truck, eye to eye with a lot of car drivers and so SUV bumpers are higher than mine.
Eugene wrote in alt.autos.gm

Strangely enough, I have never had a bus tail gate me, or try to bully me. I have seen that behavior in truck drivers. And, strangely enough, I never said a word about banning the suv's either. Do you always go around putting words in people's mouths? Or is this just some poor behavior adopted for the usenet?
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Dick C wrote:

So replace banning with complaining. Enough complaining leads to banning eventually anyway. I have been tailgated and cutoff by a school bus before. Try driving the speed limit in a school zone and a bus will tailgate you.
Eugene wrote in alt.autos.gm

the
First of all, complaining in a news group does not lead to banning. Hell, complaining here doesn't even lead to a decent recall. It takes a hell of a lot more than just bitching to get something banned. As far as school buses tailgating? Let the school district know, talk to the media. Do something. That is our children we are talking about. I have never heard of that in Washington. I am sure that if some driver tailgated, or sped (especially in a school zone) they would be fired in very short order.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Dick C wrote:

There are ways to "deal" with tailgaters: (outside of the proper way, which is to allow them to pass and ignore them and allows you to keep your blood pressure down...)
1-go. get a faster car. if you're doing 30+ over the limit you don't usually have a tailgating problem. 2-stop. brake check'em. works best if you have a fancy car and actually whoa it up (but follow it by #1 or you might get rear ended...)
;) <sarcasm mode off>

all
fact
I've seen these rear-end accidents where the following vehicle's front jumps up on to the car in front. It kinda looks humerous as if they are humping. Passenger compartments are designed to support the full weight of the vehicle in a roll over and none ever collapsed. John
jriegle wrote in alt.autos.gm

Within the past 5 years in the Seattle area there have been at least 2 cars that caught on fire, trapping and burning the people inside. Both times the SUV that hit them crushed them so badly the people were trapped. Yes, that Honda civic probably could support its' own weight on its' roof, but not a Jeep Cherokee driving up its' trunk and onto it's roof.
--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
Dick C wrote:

I got to see a Honda Civic rear ended by a Bonneville. The Bonneville's front tires were sitting in the back seat of the civic. I saw a Civic Hit by a 2 door S10 blazer which is a small suv, not even as tall as the chrysler minivan I had at the time. This was on a 35mph street and the blazer had just turned a sharp corner so it couldn't have been speeding, wasn't enough distance/time to get up to a fast speed. The Honda flew off the ground and landed in a yard, the passenger door of the Honda bent in and hit the driver in the arm. The S10 blazer suffered a bent bumper. Someone in a Acura (Honda) rear ended my wife;s impala and completely smashed the hood, grill and bumper of the accura, I buffed their paint off the Impala's bumper. My examples here are to illustrate that out of three wrecks involving Honda products, all three Hondas suffered way more damage than the other vehicle only one of which was an suv, the other two were other front wheel drive cars. I used to install E-911 systems so I drove a lot of miles and got to see a lot of wrecks from the pictures the dispatchers and police showed to me or the stories they told me about so I could give many more examples. IMHO SUV's are not the problem, Hondas and similar are. When the passenger compartment is a crumple zone there is something wrong. I personally won't even accept a ride in a Honda I have seen so many of them take their owners life to save a gallon of gas.