The Thread it took me 2 Years to Post! - 2004 Impala LS

My aunt bought this Impala in 2005 from a dealer - mid teens miles wise, well equipped.

My question is: Is it alright for her to drive the Impala in 3rd gear full time?

She and her husband(who drives it 10% of the time) claim it rolls so well and so smoothly that if they leave it in Drive they have to ride the brakes most of the time.

I told them of course it rolls well - it's got cushy touring tires combined with a V6 with excellent low-end torque and it weighs more than a Camry or a Ford 500/Taurus.

Any long-term issues with the 3rd gear thing?

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

I hope not. I find the same effect on my '05 and haveto manually downshift quite a bit.

however, their "rolls so well and so smoothly" is my "has a POS torque converter program that allows it to unlock when you don't really want it to."

nate

Reply to
N8N

More RPM on the engine, but around town, it is not a big deal, may even be preferable for the reasons you mentioned. . On the highway it is just wasting gas and putting more wear on the engine. On my Buick, it would be about 500 rpm more at 70 mph. It does tend to roll quite a bit with little engine braking in fourth.

My other car has a 5 speed and won't shift into high until 40 mph or above. It does have more engine braking too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The biggest negative will be reduced fuel economy. At legal speeds it isn't going to hurt anything. The fourth gear is an overdrive gear. For decades cars didn't have such a gear.

That said, it's a dumb idea. Just use the brakes when needed.

Reply to
John Horner

____________________ Not to mention it's easy to zip right past legal - even with the old

3.4L V6 from 00 - 05 - in those Impies. Especially the way most people accelerate! = P

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster