Wanting to use my 6 cyl as a 5 cyl.

I have a 93 chev. S 10 - 4.3 -that has developed a plugged oil pump from a Fram oil filter. One of the crank bearings has been wallered out and is a knockin now. I am wondering if I can open exhaust and intake
valves and still use the engine for a couple of months and run it on 5 cylinders. I am sure the rod bearing is bad and most likely the crank-but a couple of weeks more and I can afford to get one from the salvage yard. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Blaine
Yea. Can you back that claim up about the Fram filter? I don't see them doing anything except replacing your filter, but who knows. It depends on the case and the proof. If you have 175K on the motor and only suspect the filter, you are out of luck. If there is a physical deformity in the filter, you could have something. I think you could disable the fuel injector on the bad cylinder and take the load off that cylinder pretty much. No sense spending much time on it.
I only used Fram filters -when I removed the plug to change oil I found all pieces of filter remnants-and after running a can of Sea Foam through the system-i found even more filter elements..But I am not going after Fram-why bother with a high mileage motor(225,000)...I also have a 92 Astro van with the 4.3 "W" and it is still running after 295,000 and still using Fram...Just happened to be the one that went bad!
Toppy wrote:

um, yeah, like you hear these stories about ANY OTHER brand of oil filter...
nate

This is the first actual case I have heard of that is probably verifiable.
I much prefer to deal in facts, but stopped using Fram a year or so ago --just in case.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

I thought I was the only one who had a Fram failure until the internet got popular and I started to see messages from others, then the guy who made the web site and cut them apart so I cut mine open and I could tell they were cheaply made.
Mine was a fuel filter that failed and it was back before they started putting them under the body so I had a leaky filter which could have easily started a fire, I was very lucky. Sure there are many people who use fram and get lucky and don't have a failure, but there are people who drive without seatbelts, or drive 30mph over the speed limit and don't get caught, but sooner or later their luck will run out.
wrote in message

verifiable.
easily
I know the site you mean. This guy was well meaning, but appearance of poor quality does not automatically equate to failures.
Lots of hearsay erupted after this, but when asked if anybody had actually sustained a failure, most either got quiet, or answered with 'everybody knows', or 'I heard', or similar.
This is the same sort of rumor and innuendo that plagued Slick 50. When asked " Did it happen to you?" or "Are you sure that this is what caused the problem?" there were few or no documented cases. (Slick 50, whether it was a good product or not, lost a legal maneuver because they made claims that they had no scientific test date to back up. Unsubstantiated advertising, as it were. AFAIK, it was not proven that the product had caused failures nor that it did not provide some sort of lubrication enhancement. It is still on the market.)