Why are GM fuel pumps so short lived?

Page 2 of 3
<RJ> wrote:

One who gets paid based on how cheaply a component can be manufactured and not on how long it will last.

Management. The general principle with most companies seems to be that if the component will last past the new car warranty period it is good enough.
John
Excuse me but if the pump is IN the tank how does changing a fuel filter that is after the tank affect the fuel pump?
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:26:03 GMT, "Repairman"

Back pressure. Pump is working overtime trying to force fuel through a plugged / restricted filter.

Yeah, I thought of that immediately after posting it almost. Thanks anyway though.
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:09:51 GMT, "Repairman"

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:26:03 GMT, "Repairman"

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clogged, and over heating, from low fuel.
Greetings,
This is not a Detroit-only or Big Three-only issue. Almost all of the vehicles I've seen built in the past several years have a fuel-tank-mounted fuel pump and even the asian cars and trucks suffer from the same issues. In fact, my wife's non-domestic SUV uses an in-tank fuel pump that has an integrated fuel filter that is non-replaceable (talk about cheap!), but it's waranted for 100k miles.
The units that have replaceable fuel filters I believe have a better filtering ability, but that just emphasizes the need for regular filter changes. A combination of letting the filter go too long between replacements and running the tank low will wear out any fuel pump regardless of maker.
Cheers - Jonathan

I stand corrected, thanks.

Jonathan wrote:

My blazer has a replaceable fuel filter along the underside of vehicle by driver door, as well as a filter at the pump assembly. It eats fuel pumps at least 1 every other year since 95. Lifetime warranty came in handy, but install fee has kicked my ass. I would have liked that blazer if it wasnte for fuel pumps and brakes.
--
Thank you,

Ho-ly cow! That's crazy. Did you ever replace the gas tank or have it cleaned of sediment? Fuel pumps are usually good for 60,000 on the very low side, but more commonly, 100,000 miles. I can't blame your for not liking that maintenance record, but I'd be looking deeper into the causes. That's *not* typical.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-
Where are you getting your pumps? Never seen them fail that fast unless they are junk out of the box. Might be time to look at other issues, like bad ground to the pump or low voltage, also do a flow rate test and see if there is something else as a contributing factor.
--
Steve Williams

"dnoyeB" < snipped-for-privacy@ThisOneIsFake.com> wrote in message

I agree. A crimped or bent fuel line can act the same as a clogged filter and may not be easily found. Only a flow rate test will tell you one way or the other, but I would also check fuel pressure as well. A dirty ground is also a possibility, or perhaps a dirty harness connector as well.
Cheers - Jonathan

You've hit upon the crux of the problem, second rate aftermarket new junk or rebuilts. There are a few truths to be noted here, anecdotal "evidence" to the contrary. The first is that in-tank pumps are usually good for most of 100K under normal conditions. The second is that having the tank mostly kept full means the pump runs submerged keeping it cooler thus adding to its potential service life. The third is that an in-tank pump is a bitch to get to, very time consuming if you DIY and very expensive to have done for you. The fourth is that you don't buy half-assed rebuilt junk regardless of the "lifetime warranty". You bite the bullet, buy new OEM or quality aftermarket or rebuilt (good luck finding either of those) and have done with it.
NickySantoro wrote:

First few pumps were dont by dealership until I lost the receipt and got sick of their high prices. They my regular mechanic did the last few which I bought aftermarket. OEM did not show any better performance. and the first one blew a few thousand miles out of factory warranty.
--
Thank you,

There is something else at play here. What you describe is truly an anomaly. I'm no particular fan of GM, or Ford for that matter, but I've yet to replace any fuel pump, in tank or external, a second time after using an OEM replacement in either brand. YMMV (and apparently does) FWIW

Man - this is a crazy scenario - but I'm not saying I don't believe it. Others posted after my initial shock statement, that some vehicles seem to eat fuel pumps. I think after the second one I'd probably be looking at possible things like input voltage levels, grounding, etc. You know - the stuff that typically eats electric motors. Is this fuel pump different than all other GM fuel pumps? I ask because it almost seems that it can't be. The aftermarket is pretty good at identifying junk designs by the manufacturers and coming out with a product that is genuinely superior, but your aftermarket experience doesn't reflect this. This leads me to suspect problems in the truck and not so much with the fuel pump.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
croaker68 wrote:

I agree. I have been driving GM products exclusively for about 40 years and I haven't had to replace a fuel pump since my '61 Impala bubbletop! I have never had to replace an in-tank pump. But I tend to refuel when the level drops to between 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank. My son is presently driving a '98 Grand Am with the 3.1 liter engine and he has over 150,000 miles on the original pump.
That is the way GM wants it. How hard is it to build a long lasting fuel pump anyway? Engineers know what they are doing. The company spends millions and millions of dollars on R&D every year. That is the way they are designed. They don't design components by accident.

Frankie,
I went 250,000 miles and 13 years on my Bonneville's original fuel pump when I had it replaced in 2003. It was still working at the time, but replaced it anyway due to age & the fact it had just reached a 1/4 milllion miles.

Because GM orders cheap ones. I've never had a problem with Chryslers fuel pumps, even though I don't clean them before 80K miles.