wont run

Page 2 of 2
No gas came out, but it has a slight smell of gas. Now you have me nervous I may have a $100 part on order that a may not need.

Tim wrote:

The smell of gas could be from the intake manifold. Its always good to test parts before replacing them. If you can take it off, take it to a shop that has a vac pump and see if it holds vac. Use a handheld pump like a Mighty-Vac.
I returned the fuel regulator. I could not find a shop that had a hand pump vacuum tester. I have not had gas come out of the vac line so I figured it must be OK. I picked up a fuel filter and changed it. It was way overdue. However problem still exist.
One shop I talked to said it sounded like a catalytic converter. I tried to check it with putting my hand on the tail pipe that having wife give it some gas. I did notice some change but it has an exhaust leak somewhere so I don't know how well that worked.
With the new fuel filter I will change the plugs again and see but I don't think that will help.
Any other ideas. I can get it to run enough to take it to a shop, and I don't have the money for towing and repairs. Disability dose not pay well.

I have ruled out the cat converter took it off and put a straight pipe in still stalled out. I put the converter back in and for some strange reason I took off the vacuum line to the fuel regulator. It did run better got up to 45 but then it was like it loaded up and stalled out. Hard to start and did not think I was going to make it back home.

Tim wrote:

I maybe missed the part about checking the O2 sensor? I think that year only had one, but not sure. Do you have the volt readings for the O2 sensor?

If you removed the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator that would increase the fuel pressure. If it ran better with an inrease in fuel pressure you may have a weak fuel pump. Have you put a fuel pressure guage on it yet ?
yes it has 35-40 pounds