'00 honda civic will not start

I'm not the most car savvy person, but I know enough to keep it running.
I have a 00 Civic DX, recently had engine work (broken crank shaft) at 73000
miles. Replaced battery about 3 weeks ago, drove car to work this morning at 8 am, came out for lunch at 1 and car will not start. Car is manual transmission, battery seems to be functioning properly as well as alternator. Any ideas? Car was functioning properly as far as I could tell this morning, is there any way I can start it? I've heard about pushing a manual and getting it to start but have never attempted it myself.