'01 Civic EX: Oil Usage vs. Oil Weight

My '01 Civic EX, 235K miles (mostly I-95 commuting @ 100 miles/day) is using about 1/2 qt. 5W-20 per 4000 miles. I go 8000 miles (4 months) between oil changes. (Maint.manual states 10,000
mi. interval). Should I start thinking of using a heavier oil, 5W-30 , at this time ?
Z_2K wrote:

Hi, Why not? Make sure PCV is in good shape. What is the mileage on odometer?

" My '01 Civic EX, 235K miles (mostly I-95 commuting @ 100 miles/day)..."
No

OK....I guess I'm now supposed to reply "Why not ?"

Two reasons:
1.You stated that you are using only one quart in 8000 miles between oil changes. All things considered, that is fantastic - especially on a vehicle with 235k miles. It is normal for an engine to use a little bit of oil. In your case, I'd say that the oil usage is well within acceptable guidelines, and should not be a concern.
2. Auto companies provide oil specs for their vehicles for a very good reason - it's what works best. You can be sure a lot of time and testing went into the 5W-20 oil spec for your car. The fact that it is still running well and using so little oil after 235k miles validates Honda's advice, in my opinion.
doug