1994 Accord Colling System Question

I have a 1994 Honda Accord EX. Two Days ago, my upper radiator hose blew while i was driving. I immediately stopped when i noticed the steam coming from my hood, and walked to get a new hose. I replaced the hose, and added water to my radiator (as i unfortunately could not get coolant). I then drove my car home. While driving, i experienced the following problem; when i idle, or run at less than 1500rpm, my temp gauge goes to about 5/6ths. When i run from 1500-2000rpm, my temp guauge goes to 1/2. When i go above 2000rpm, my temp guage goes to normal (roughly 1/3-3/7). I have noticed that only ONE fan is working. Is it possible that with only one fan working, that this might cause the problem? should i get this checked by a mechanic?? I know just enough about auto maintenance to be dangerous. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hayt

Reply to
hayt.atreides

=====================================

With a Honda, AIR in the cooling system will totally confuse the way the fans work (don't work). When you lost coolant, you introduced air that now needs to be displaced by the new coolant. Keep your rad full to the top and the reservoir filled to MAX the next couple of days, since the engine will take in coolant from the reservoir each time it cools off. On a '94 you may not have to 'bleed' the air (others will know) but even turning the heater on will introduce more (stored) air to the system. Be sure to use premix Honda coolant, or at least don't use TAP water. Distilled or reverse Osmosis is good. Tap water is Hondacide.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

Trapped air will bleed out on its own just fine in all systems, provided the system is otherwise operating correctly.

Correct.

De-ionized (de-i) is good, too.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

VERY STRONG possibility of a blown head gasket.

Your symptoms indicate low coolant level, and thus poor coolant circulation.

Depends which fan. You will have a rad fan and an A/C condenser fan. The rad fan is towards the passenger side, and condenser fan is towards the driver's side.

In the scenarios you list above, you do not indicate if the car is moving when you are running the revs stated. If the car is NOT MOVING and you rev it as indicated and the temp goes down, then the coolant is low. *Why* the coolant is low is the question here, which is what brings up the possibility of a failed head gasket.

Reply to
TeGGeR®