Accord Cooling System

I recently replaced my Radiator, Thermostat, Rad. Cap and cooling fan switch in my 92 Accord. The fan used to never come on when I turned the car off. Now when I turn it off, the fan will come one and run for a few minutes, shut off for maybe a minute and back on again and do this maybe 4 or 5 times. I know that is normal for it to come on after shutting the car off but should it be coming on this often and run that long? Also, Is there a transmission filter in a 92 Accord? I want to at least change the fluid, is that all I need to do to it? I know the dealer will flush the cooler too, but I figure doing it myself once a year should be almost as good.

Reply to
Trail Shredder

On 2005-04-07 snipped-for-privacy@shred.com said: >Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda >I recently replaced my Radiator, Thermostat, Rad. Cap and cooling >fan switch in my 92 Accord. The fan used to never come on when I >turned the car off. Now when I turn it off, the fan will come one >and run for a few minutes, shut off for maybe a minute and back on >again and do this maybe 4 or 5 times. I know that is normal for it >to come on after shutting the car off but should it be coming on >this often and run that long? Also, Is there a transmission filter >in a 92 Accord? I want to at least change the fluid, is that all I >need to do to it? I know the dealer will flush the cooler too, but >I figure doing it myself once a year should be almost as good. On a really hot day, when the air conditioning has been running, my radiator fan will behave as you describe. I can often prevent the fan running on by shutting off the AC a couple miles from home, giving things a chance to cool down some. If you open the hood after shutting down the engine the heat will vent out and you may not get any fan run, or at least minimize it.

Or you can live with it.

Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

The shortest distance between two points is always under construction.

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Reply to
twillmon

This was happening a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 30's here in Ohio. Does run more that it is warmer now 60-70's though.

Reply to
Trail Shredder

Did you bleed the air out of the cooling system with the bleeder valve? bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Yes, or at least till fluid came out. Assuming I got it all.

Reply to
Trail Shredder

"Trail Shredder" wrote in news:5C95e.339$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

The condenser fan will come up for up to 15 minutes after a shutdown if the oil temperature is above 226F.

Congratulations. Your engine was probably running too too cool before.

If the fluid has been neglected for along time, there is danger in flushing or replacing it: You may loosen accumulated crud, which can clog the valve body passages. You're kind of in a tough spot here if you don't know the car's history.

Reply to
TeGGer®