1994 850 SRS System

I have a 1994 850 with 230K miles. Its in excellent condition and runs great. Three days the SRS light came on. The owner's manual has a section on the SRS and per decal on the driver side post my airbag system should be serviced/replaced about 10/2004. Took it to the dealer, who checked the computer and said that the passenger side bag / harness needs to be evaluated or replaced. This is big $$. Either $500 to take off the dash and evaluate OR $1000 to change the harness OR $2000 to change the bag were the three scenarios!

A fourth scenario emerged when I started the car to drive away ... the SRS light had gone out! The dealer said that that was because they had reset the code. After 5 ignitions and 100 miles no light. So, here are the questions:

  1. Was the light triggered as a service reminder or was there actually a fault?
  2. If the light stays off, is the SRS going to perform as intended? IE can the SRS fault light stay off despite there being a fault?
  3. What is done as part of SRS service after 10 years had the light not come on?
  4. Can the fault be triggered as a result of mechanical shock?

Thanks in advance ... Atul

Reply to
volvo_driver via CarKB.com

1st Volvo now states airbags to be replaced after 20 years 2nd What code did they come up with please post
Reply to
Glenn Klein

Thanks Glenn ... I don't know the code number. But they explained that the passenger side bag circuit had a break in the wiring and they would have to take the dash off to investigate.

Reply to
volvo_driver via CarKB.com