1997 Honda Civic Ex weird problem

Hi,

I have a 1997 Honda Civic 2Dr Ex, automatic transmission. Suddenly,this weekend when I was taking a turn the car broke on me and wont move ! When I tried engaging any of the gears nothing happened. The rpm showed an increase when I hit the accelerator and also the speedometer showed an increase in speed but the car wont move. This led me to the conclusion that the gears were not getting engaged. Also, If I try putting it to the parking gear the car makes a screeching noise, the parking gears dont really help the car park but act only as a neutral now. Talked to a local transmission garage and they guessed that the axle might be broken. On inspection I saw the bellow of the passenger side front axle torn and oil seemed to be coming out. Another garage suggested that there might be a electrical/mechanical problem with the transmission. Can anyone give any insights on this ? Help would be really appreciated !

bray

bray wrote in news:996411_787ad8efb1d7bb59565f0a7b08be9a22 @autoboardz.com:

You posted this message to rec.autos.tech last week, and got some decent replies.

I'll bet you never checked anything you were told to check.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9907D4D484EE9tegger@207.14.116.130:

I think this is a troll,because another post on a 97 Civic with the name "Jessica" has the same address and complaint. I've KF'd them both.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9907EDC031547jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.87:

I see the problem now. My Troll-O-Meter's Main Relay is bad (summer's coming, y'know).

Reply to
Tegger

The part about the speedometer showing movement was pretty weird. I was wondering how that would work. The rest was odd, but legitimate posts can be worded oddly too.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee