200 My 1 Accord EX leather seat problem

We purchased a 2001 Accord EX coupe in Dec 2004. The leather on the front seats is "mottled." There are light spots with the majority of the leather slightly darker. Upon examination, it appears there is a "coating" on the leather that is coming off. I have actually been able to work at one of the spots and pull of some of the darker coating. The funny thing is the leather underneath more closely matches the interior of the car.

What would have been the purpose of the coating? The best guesses so far is some kind of fire retardent, or some kind of protectant for the leather.

Has anyone ever seen this? I am resigned to using a solvent, probably acetone, to remove the remainder of the "coating" to improve the appearance of the seats. What should I do to protect the leather after this layer is removed?

Suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Reply to
Enrique Gonzales

Sounds like some of the dye is coming out... have no idea why. You didn't spill anything on it? Is this a localized problem?

Professor

Professor