2009 Honda Element

We have sold our 2003 Honda Element. Best car I've ever owned and that includes some Cadillacs and Buicks. We want a 2009 Element EX but we can't find any local (Houston, Texas) dealers that have any. Are they selling that good?

Reply to
JC

Nope, Element sales are way down. Only 1152 were sold in the USA during Jan 2009 (about half the number of Jan 2008) according to Honda sales figures posted at

Unless you need the ability to hose-down your vehicle's interior (big dog owners love the Element), perhaps you might consider either a Civic or Accord. The Toyota/Scion xB could be an Element alternative (but no hosing it out).

Reply to
ACAR

Nope, Element sales are way down. Only 1152 were sold in the USA during Jan 2009 (about half the number of Jan 2008) according to Honda sales figures posted at

Unless you need the ability to hose-down your vehicle's interior (big dog owners love the Element), perhaps you might consider either a Civic or Accord. The Toyota/Scion xB could be an Element alternative (but no hosing it out).

Nope, we're in our late 60s and the Element is a perfect vehicle for us old farts.

Reply to
JC

Funny that you say that, as the Element was explicitely designed to attract young buyers. Another triumph of marketing.

Reply to
e.meyer

Funny that you say that, as the Element was explicitely designed to attract young buyers. Another triumph of marketing.

I remember right after we bought it, I emailed the manufacturer and told them they were missing the mark by a long shot. This vehicle is so easy to load groceries and things in and out of that it is a dream. We folded up the back seats and I don't think they have been let down since. I travel around to some nursing homes and do a little pickin and singin for the inmates and my amplifier, guitar, mic, music stand and gig bag fit perfectly. We also have a couple of pickup trucks, one for the farm and one just to run around in but "Mutt", the wife's name for the Element, gets the most use. And, the resale value is pretty hard to beat around these parts.

So, why don't any of the Honda dealers up in Houston, Texas have any new ones? There are 4 very large stores and the most any of them have is 2, none of which is the color or trim level we want.

Reply to
JC

What would you like any of us in this newsgroup to do about it?

Go whine to the dealerships.

The real answer as to why they don't have any of them, is that there is near ZERO demand for that piece of shit. They don't stock what they can't sell. Quite a simple business model, isn't it?

Reply to
Dan C

not quite that simple. honda usa has resisted selling civic hatchbacks because they're seen as low margin. despite the fact that they're highly popular, have huge loyalty and sell well. another example is that honda usa rejected the fit [jazz] for years - now one of their strongest models.

bottom line - the element doesn't command the price and thus the margin of other models like the crv, odyssey and pilot, thus if they don't put it on the sales lot, they're not going to sell!

Reply to
jim beam

When Honda came out with the CRV, American Honda rejected it--"too small," they said. "Americans wouldn't want to buy anything like that," they said.

So Honda designed the CRV without much thought given to what the American market would need as far as engineering.

Then at the last minute American Honda changed their mind--but by then, it was too late to incorporate the needed changes into the basic structure of the model.

It took awhile, but Honda made the CRV suitable to pass US laws, but overall it wasn't the car it should have been for the US market.

Stupid American Honda. They really don't have a clue sometimes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"sometimes"??? the marketing geniuses that gave us the ridgeline??? that killed the prelude??? won't bring back the crx??? no hatchback civic???

personally, i think those guys are "double agents" on the payroll of detroit - why else would they so consistently and tirelessly attempt to sabotage what has otherwise proven to be a highly successful formula - smaller, practical, reliable, functional and fun?

Reply to
jim beam

No sir. I think you would represent yourself well, especially you, by simply continuing on with your arrogance.

Reply to
JC