95 Civic transmission help needed

I just got a 1995 Civic EX coupe and I think that I need to replace the transmission. What years have the same trans? Should I use the same trans or is there a better one that will bolt right up?

Reply to
william1977

Some very useful info will help us help you: automatic, I presume? how many miles? what are the symptoms? has the ATF been changed regularly with genuine Honda Z1 ATF?

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Civic EX coupe and I think that I need to replace

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a manual trans. It has 178k miles and there is a bearing grinding noise on deceleration and sometimes on acceleration. It drives down the road great at any speed and shifts just fine. I'm sure that it's nothing more than an output shaft bearing. I was planning on getting a trans from pic n pull since I'm sure that it will be cheaper than having the trans repaired.

Reply to
william1977

Civic EX coupe and I think that I need to replace

I just bought a '95 Civic EX sedan that had the manual transmission replaced recently. I figured a previous owner had abused it, but now i"m wondering...

Reply to
mjc1

get a /much/ lower mileage one from a jdm importer rather than a domestic junkyard.

Reply to
jim beam

how much is a trans from one of those guys? I wanted to go to a pick n pull type of place because it will be cheep! If any one can help me out with my original question I would appreciate some info.

Reply to
william1977

there's loads of places like this:

jim beam

They want $395 for an imported trans. Pick n pull wants $75 I think I am going to pick n pull but I still would like to have my original question answered. What other transmissions will work in my car? What other cars and years can I get a transmission out of?

Reply to
caboose1977

the import has 30-60k on it. pick-n-pull is more like 150k. your call.

Reply to
jim beam

Do you have any idea what other years of Civic that I can get a trans out of that will bolt up in my car? Can I get one out of a Del Sol or a CRX how far back can I go in a regular Civic?

Reply to
william1977