98 civic - shocks?

As some of you may have read in other posts, I was having a brake drag problem.
98 civic lx 5 spd. 282000kms.
I hit the brakes at highway speed, lost control, and ended up in the ditch.
Car is mostly OK, as am I.
Upon thinking about the performance of the car once I started to lose control, it occured to me that perhaps the weak shocks I have contributed to my inability to regain control of the vehicle once the skid started. The shocks on this car have never been replaced, and I live in Winnipeg, so I'm sure that even though they pass the bounce test, they are probably done.
Can anyone lend any credence to this?
Anyways, I have called around, and geez are these things expensive! $149.99 each x 4. Thats for Monroe Sensatracs. It seems that nobody bothers to carry anything else.
Fortunately, I called around and found the same Monroes for $101.24 each.
Are Monroes OK? Or should I be heading to the dealer for these?
monroes are good. shop ebay and save $

also kyb struts are very good so if you can get those they're high quality to.

I got the monroes... they seem to be about the only thing available here.
how hard is it to screw up reassembly of the strut in the rear? For some reason, I couldn't get the top mounting collar to seat where I thought it should. The strut went back on no problem and everything seems ok,
but if its twisted or something, it would be a problem with alignment, right?
Jeff wrote:

loewent via CarKB.com wrote:

monroe quality is poor. get kyb gr2's if you don't want to pay for oem. buy online for the best prices.