advice on where to get extra keys made

Does anyone know of a cheaper place to get Honda keys made other than the dealer?
I just found out that they charge $52.00 for the key plus $50 to program it.
Even the valet keys need to be programmed.
Is there a cheaper option available?
thanks.
jb
You probably won't find many locksmiths willing to invest the thousands of dollars in equipment and technology needed for each manufacturer. Some of the brands keys and programmings are the same, some are not. But there are some locksmiths that will. Actually the price you're quoting is one of the most reasonable I've heard. But, that also depends on what year Honda you have, because there are different kinds of programming to a Honda depending on the year Howard.

Find another dealer. Sheesh. That's just extortion.
When I got my 03 and needed an extra master key, I called around and found a locksmith that said he could make the key for a dollar amount. ( dont remember the exact quote) I called a the dealer I bought the car from and another dealer closer to my house. Got 2 different prices and the local dealer was the cheapest, even lower than the locksmith.
Cars are becoming more and more of a dealer repair shop and parts supplier.
Dave-

it.
The newer keys (like my 06 Accord) from Honda integrate various functions like door locks on the key rather than a separate fob. Those keys are more expensive. If yours is the case, then $52 plus programming is quite cheap. We previously owned a Lexus RX 300 where the integrated key was $200.00 not to include programming.
"Find another dealer. Sheesh. That's just extortion."
Not exactly correct. You didn't mention your model, but consider the following. Many of the immobilizer keys today include the remote fob in the key. These keys retail in the mid 40's to mid 50 dollar range. The programming on many of the new Hondas require a visit in the shop where the electronic equipoment is hooked up to the car, the computer on the car is reprogammed as far as the key code is concerned and then each key the owner has for the car must be programmed to match. The labor quote of $50 is not excessive and actually reasonable considering most dealer labor rates around the country averages $70's to over $100 per hour. Keep your dealer! Howard

joeshmoe wrote:

Best I can tell you, from your lack of information is, if your imobi system uses rolling code transponders, you're screwed. Otherwise a clone key will work and could be much cheaper.
-- Tp,
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
joeshmoe wrote:

I've used these guys before.
https://www.streetkeys.com /
I see they now charge $89 for an activation of the key. It used to be about $40 when I had it done about 3 years or so ago, so it may not be such a good deal as it used to be, but there were no problems with it.
Find another dealer and keep having your key made from your dealer.