Extra Keys for my Lincoln - Best Price?

I recently aquired a 2004 Lincoln LS which came with two user keys and a valet key.

There's four of us in the family and occasionally someone has to move my car to free their's, so I'd like to get a couple of more user keys so everyone has one on their keyrings.

The car's owner's manual has instructions telling how I can program the car to recognize additional keys as long as I already have two recognized keys.

Having lived through so many years when buying an extra car key cost about the same as a pre Starbucks cup of coffee, I was shocked, just shocked, to hear what a Lincoln dealer said those extra keys would cost me.

Are the blanks for those types of "smart keys" typically available through full service locksmiths who'd then cut the bits in them, or is there a web store source selling compatible key blanks which anyone with a key machine could cut?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

When I got my 2004 Taurus, I bought a couple key blanks on Ebay for about $12 each, IIRC. I took them to a local locksmith who cut them for the grand sum of $1.00. It took me about 10 mins to program them, following the instructions in the manual. They work just fine.

Look for 'transponder keys' and make sure you get the right one for your car. There's nothing special about cutting them..any locksmith should be able to do it.

Reply to
M.M.

Dealerships can suck the life out of you.

A GM key, here, runs $50-60, but I had some duplicated at a REAL locksmith in Houston for less than $20.

Reply to
<HLS

Many thanks! Found just what I needed on eBay pronto. (Cost me under $20 with shipping.)

Man who loses key to mistress' apartment gets no new key.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Glad I could be of help...

73 de AA7TA...
Reply to
M.M.

You should also check ebay. You can save some bucks buying there.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez