Born suckers

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:25:44 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

And if others in other countries can get what they want right at their own back door, why import junk?

I was looking to the future and reflecting on the past. Right now although the US quality has improved it still lags the Japanese manufacturers, so there is more work to do, but the quality gap has closed, however, if it's the case that Asian car quality is that much more superior what are the Asian Manufacturers afraid of? This is just one example, there are other industries that are effected in exactly the same way, ie: unfair trading behaviour.
They have a huge advantage if they can export with impunity while denying the same access to the US manufacturers. Why aren't more people outraged?
I think part of the problem is the fact that the American manufacturers build for the North American market while the Asian and Europeans build for the world, and on top of that the US manufacturers have ceded large parts of the market due to lax and incompetent management, through relying on Suv's and trucks, a very complacent approach that only now is coming to fruition with massive loss of market share for the US manufacturers as both the Suv and truck markets have started to go south.
Also while relying on bulk sales to the car leasing companies look good as far a volume is concerned they represent little in profit per car, again a complacent approach that is a result and responsibility of US auto makers management, I don't think you can blame the unions, as I understand it the Japanese manufactures pay the same compensation to their non-unionized members as the unionized US car manufacturer's workers.
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:44:18 -0700, tizak wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself! (or, why didn't I think of that! ;) But I think you really nailed the situation down.
The only thing I will add is, while quality may be closing, I think the Japanese are starting to make cars more cheaply so as to increase profits. My Scion sounds downright tinny! The manufacturing seems to be good, and the parts good, but I notice more clips and fewer bolts, and the like.
And, I think the Americans have come quite a ways up! I had a customer who gave me a '92 Grand Voyager and a '94 Chrysler LHS. The Voyager had some 'problems'...but just kept running and running, and the LHS was a NICE CAR! Had 160,000 when I traded it for the Scion, which I now see as a mistake. I should have held out for $1,000, or just kept it! It was well worth keeping. I kept the van because it was easier to work on, and I was using it a lot, but I sure do miss that LHS...

I think that car quality is a moving target, as the Big 2.5 automaker's quality inproves, so will the imports, I hope. Playing catch up like the Big 2.5 are trying to do is an uphill battle.

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:12:07 -0700, JoeBillyBob wrote:

I started buying cars in the 70's, and after my Mom's first Toyota, a '72 Corona, I was sold. I was going to buy a '73 Celica, but it had been hit, so I went with a '74 Corolla 1200 (HA! It was so inexpensive, I was a junior in High School with a Brand-New car!!!)
Never looked back...

I still have my '95 Chrysler LH, which is my only car. Runs and looks like new.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:55:15 +0000, Some O wrote:

Mine had afew bumps and groans; one dent in the trunk, a leaky trans cooler line and leaky valve cover gaskets. Other than that, that car was COOL! And when I first got it, fuel economy was as good as my Scion! It started slipping the second year...I was only getting 23 MPG overall!

I just did a 1,000 km highway drive and my LH still gets 8.0 L/100 (US 29 mpg)at 65mph as it always has. It only has about 90K miles on it. I've treated the transmission well and it shifts as new. The 3.3L engine will probably continue as new forever. I've never had an engine that continues as new for so long. Neither the engine or engine have had any unusual maintenance problems.
Even though I drive on winter roads to the ski hills the body is still excellent.
Thank goodness it is standing up so well, because what is available in the car market doesn't impress me. I've set a 25% fuel mileage improvement as my objective. Some new models are interesting, but I'll give them two years to mature. I'm now trading maintenance for depreciation and don't know what I'll do with all the money I'm saving.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:24:50 +0000, Some O wrote:

Hmmm...3.3L? Mine had a 3.5. Made in Canada... I was getting about 29MPG when I got it, but after a year and a half it was slipping to 22-23. Never did figure out why.
I also had mine sprayed with hydraulic oil before it's first full New England winter. It was from Florida. Don't ask me how a Canadian built car wound up so far south!!
Oddly enough, Ford and GM both make AWESOME rear wheel drive V8 cars for Australia, and they both make highly regarded subcompact cars for Europe.
I would crap my pants with glee if we could get a Holden Commodore (GM) or a Ford Falcon over here in America. Hell, I'd even buy a euro- spec Focus. Unfortunately, for some reason, Ford and GM won't sell their best cars here and we have to put up with crap like the Mondeo and the Equinox. Blech.
| Oddly enough, Ford and GM both make AWESOME rear wheel drive V8 cars | for Australia, and they both make highly regarded subcompact cars for | Europe. | | I would crap my pants with glee if we could get a Holden Commodore | (GM) or a Ford Falcon over here in America. Hell, I'd even buy a euro- | spec Focus. Unfortunately, for some reason, Ford and GM won't sell | their best cars here and we have to put up with crap like the Mondeo | and the Equinox. Blech. |
It's getting closer than you think... for a holden at least.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID (748&vf=1

If only Detroit's products had a 150,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty... then I might actually consider an American car again!
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:54:49 -0700, mrdarrett wrote:

My LHS was sure a good car! I really wish I hadn't given it up for a measly $600...

It's a bottom end car, hardly comparable to anything built in NAFTA. For example GM gets it's bottom end cars from Korea.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:53:22 +0000, who wrote:

Seen a Cobalt?

And I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. I worked at a Toyota dealer in '05. They are ALL getting a little 'cheaper'.
BTW, test times for the tC with the 2.4 L engine are within 10ths of a second of my '88 Supra with the N/A engine when it was tested new. Good enough for me. And it even makes my 'Hachiroku' seem like a sled...
tizak wrote:

<giggle>
I've been hearing this argument for the past twenty-five years. Face it, US industry does not have the flex and forward looking process to accomplish it now nor did it have it then...
JT