Can water bend a heat shield?

If a Honda is driven fast enough through a deep puddle, can the force of the water hitting the car bend one of the heat shields on the exhaust pipe?

Reply to
jattardi

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

No. But it can shock shields loose that are hanging on by a thread of rust...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The heat shield is a thin metal sheet over the exhaust pipe, right? I discovered mine was bent close to the pipe which was causing a very loud annoying rattle. The only possible explanation I could think of was a huge puddle I plowed through the other day.

Thanks for the input though!

Joe

Reply to
jattardi

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Then it wasn't a puddle. You hit something harder at some point.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

yes. look at the hull of a ship after it's been through a severe storm.

Reply to
jim beam

Can you elaborate?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

they get beaten up. and it's "only water".

jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:JtednblBk5fg5_HZRVn- snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

A small heat shield is not a ship hull. The stresses are not the same.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I doubt that you could run through a puddle at a high enough rate that could accelerate the water to an amplitude that would bend the shield without hydroplaning.......water is used to cut steel plates (among other things), but at up to 60kpsi.

Rapid and unevenly cooling hot metal can cause it to warp.

Reply to
L Alpert