Can water bend a heat shield?

If a Honda is driven fast enough through a deep puddle, can the force of the water hitting the car bend one of the heat shields on the exhaust pipe?

Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

No. But it can shock shields loose that are hanging on by a thread of rust...
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

The heat shield is a thin metal sheet over the exhaust pipe, right? I discovered mine was bent close to the pipe which was causing a very loud annoying rattle. The only possible explanation I could think of was a huge puddle I plowed through the other day.
Thanks for the input though!
Joe
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Then it wasn't a puddle. You hit something harder at some point.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

yes. look at the hull of a ship after it's been through a severe storm.
Add pictures here
âś–
jim beam wrote:

Can you elaborate?
JT
Add pictures here
âś–
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

they get beaten up. and it's "only water".
http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/apl/apl.html
Add pictures here
âś–

A small heat shield is not a ship hull. The stresses are not the same.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I doubt that you could run through a puddle at a high enough rate that could accelerate the water to an amplitude that would bend the shield without hydroplaning.......water is used to cut steel plates (among other things), but at up to 60kpsi.
Rapid and unevenly cooling hot metal can cause it to warp.
Add pictures here
âś–