Heat shield necessary?

Is the heat shield attached to the stock muffler necessary? I still have the heat shield attached to the underside of the tub, but the one attached to the muffler had to be torn off. The muffler could probably hold out another month or two without being replaced, as long as that heat shield isn't critical.

Thanks!

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

L.W.(ßill)

It is fine if you stay on the road.

My CJ7 doesn't have a heat shield so I am always aware of the fire danger.

Long grass or shrubs and a hot muffler can make for a BBQ'd Jeep.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

LOL!

Man, that is my wife's job usually. She can have a fire going rain or shine faster than you can blink and she only uses stuff from the woods as starter.

I can too, but I didn't have to teach my wife, she came that way. She was in Girl Guides and I was in Scouts. Our group had 2 armed forces survival trainers as leaders. That was cool, learned a shit load from them.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, I remember watching Hopalong Cassidy on television, and how he would remove the bullet from a shell and plug it with cotton and fire it into a log and start a fire: http://216.247.24.237/_borders/Hoppy_Pic_2.jpg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I don't see how that piece of tin protects anything. I don't know if we're talking about the same thing -- It was a thin piece of metal welded along the front and back seams of the muffler on its top side. The sides were completely open. I suppose it would only protect the muffler from something if it fell straight down on top of it, and it would have to fall the whopping couple of inches above from the bottom of the tub. Not to mention it did nothing to protect the catalytic converter... wasn't anywhere near it. Crude drawing: _______ __/---------\__

Imagine that's a side view of the muffler. The dashed line is the top of the muffler itself. The solid angles and top solid line represent the "heat shield". That's what I tore off. The sides are open just like the "picture". The only contact between the shield and the muffler is and the front and back. Never said I was an art major... ;-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric did pass the time by typing:

It cuts down on heat getting into the cab. Depending on how close things are this can cause carpet backing to fume. Especially if you have been in traffic for a loooooong time.

Much more important on the cat as that gets MUCH hotter than the muffler ever should.

Then again, my Gibson doesn't have a heat shield like the stock muffler did. .shrug. dunno.

Reply to
DougW

That was my thought exactly. Aftermarket mufflers don't have heat shields...

The cat is perfectly intact. Just got a brand new one installed by the dealer for FREE. :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

And the value of a good pair of jeans cause you only do that _once_ wearing shorts.

Reply to
DougW

Have you ever bought an aftermarket muffler that didn't have a welded on shield like the stock one does? I'm looking at a few options (Dynomax, Pacesetter, etc), but none have built in shields. In theory, they would have the same problems as my muffler with the shield removed...

Reply to
Eric

Ok, that's for hot foot, no worries.

The aftermarket parts are likely better quality so don't throw so much heat off. Just a guess.

if it was structurally or safety wise needed, they all would have the shield.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

That is my impression. The stock ZJ muffler was made of some thin metal but the Gibson you could probably run over without creating a dent.

One would hope so. :)

Reply to
DougW