Cold werather engine temp

Although the interior eventually warms up, even after 15-20 minutes of slow speed driving with the temps around zero my 2013 Accord temp gage is still in the middle of "C". Is this normal (for those of you who
live where it gets this cold)?
How cold is "this cold?"
Where I live, I drive out of my 20-degree garage into +5F to +10F temperatures. After about 3 minutes, the gauge rises to between the C and the symbol that is halfway between C and H. No, what you're seeing is not right, maybe dependent on how cold is "this cold." (I drive a 2013 Accord EX 4-cylinder.)
"Jim" wrote

Sounds like you've got a bad thermostat. They tend to stick open. Hard to believe in a 2013 model, but maybe it was never any good to begin with.
On 1/29/2014 18:35, Flatlander wrote:

Dealer recommended either a) warming car up 5-10 minutes before driving (which I haven't had to do for decades with prior cars) or b) putting cardboard in front of the radiator, as one of his techs does. I didn't see any easy way to get between the grille and the radiator but I have done this with previous cars.
Could be a bad thermostat. Got the car last February and didn't experience any cold like this last winter.

The manufacturer has specific documentation for how to deal with various situations, including this one. This dealer, though, seems to be staffed with good ol' boys who scoff the documentation because "hell, we know better" and are treating this like a farm tractor.
Find a different mechanic. Dealer or independent, either one. NOBODY should be telling you to warm the car up for 5-10 minutes. NOBODY. That's a big red flag. Bubba Joe just scratched his balls, reached a little further, and pulled that right out of his ass.
And then, because he's seen truckers do it on their old big rigs (which of course are JUST like your 2013 Accord), he said to find an old box and jes stick it raht there in front of the radiator of your extremely highly engineered and expensive, and new, automobile.
Aren't LOUD bells ringing in your head right about now?
Your car is under warranty. Give them a specific problem--"it takes forever for the heat to start, even when I drive on on the freeway"--and let them fix it. Let them engage whatever resources they need to. If they can't diagnose it in a day, make them drag the factory into it, because clearly they're incompetent.
But your best bet is simply another dealer at this point. This isn't something for the newsgroup, other than to tell you that this dealer is a moron.

What does your thermometer read while this is happening?
What you see is quite normal when the temperature is extremely low.
--
Tegger