Accord Questions Re 4 vs 6 ?

Hello,

Two questions, please:

a. anyone have any idea what percentage of e.g., the 2013 Accords sold are 6 cyl. ?

b. is there any good reason to believe that a Accord with a 6 cyl will last longer, and/or be more reliable than a car with the 4 ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

There is every reason to believe that a Honda 6 cylinder car will cause you grief in your wallet. They have, shall we say, a history that is not good.

Honda's sweet spot has always been 4 cylinder, manual transmission cars. The further you move away from that, the further you move out of the area in which Honda gained their reputation originally.

Additionally, the 6 weighs more and costs more to maintain than the 4. What do you do that you need the 6? Frankly, anyone buying a Honda really needs only the 4. If you're doing something in which you think you need the 6, then either you're making that choice based on mistaken assumptions or else you need the 6 without question and you're buying the wrong vehicle that's wrapped around it.

A 6 cylinder Honda is unnecessary. It serves only to satisfy the market that thinks "more is better", the market that doesn't understand evaluating the entire system as such.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

[snip]

Gotta side with Elmo here. I fell into a deal on my first Accord, a

2006 with EX-L with
Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I find the 4 cyls a bit laggy and underpowered. My 6 cyl EX-L zooms and accelerates rapidly when needed on the interstate-- and usually delivers

30-31 mpg on road trips
Reply to
Earl Grey

From my experience with a 2012 EX-L, you only need the 6 if you're after a little performance and the options you can't get with the 4. It comes at a steep price. The 4 is a better balanced car handling-wise. Mileage is surprisingly about a wash. Driving about

80 mph on a lot of long road trips, the 4 is turning in 32 mpg. Better than the wife's '09 Civic does. I think the 6 might do just as well.
Reply to
Flatlander

When I bought my 2004 EX 4-cylinder, I asked my salesman if there was any good reason to buy a 6-cylinder. He said "no." When I test drove it, I goosed it to pass a truck while getting onto an interstate ramp, and was really surprised at how much acceleration it had.

I'm similarly pleased with my 2013 version.

Reply to
Howard Lester

I've had my '04 6 cyl Accord for about 10 years....still requires no additional oil between changes and gets the same gas milage it did 9 years ago. Nothing but the regular maintenance on the car from the manual and the usual tires/brakes stuff.

Reply to
Stewart

At the time I got my '04 6 cyl, I was making regular trips from the SF Bay area to Tahoe/Reno/Carson City with 4 people in the car plus bags. It took the mountains like a champ.....

Reply to
Stewart

Driving a full load up hill at altitude just about covers it all!

Unless you could get a turbocharged/supercharged option.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I'm going go guess it's a small number, under 20%.

No.

Take care of the four, and it will take care of you. No way the six can do any better! Unless maybe you're lead foot Charlie and the six might be put to somewhat less of an overload.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Yep, exactly......