Cost of Transmission Fluid Flush

Page 1 of 2
I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a transmission fluid flush (not a drain). I'm talking about when they completely remove all the old fluid and replace it with new fluid, as opposed to
just draining and re-filling. I've got a 1998 Honda Accord LX 4-cyc with 72K miles.
I was quoted a price of $220 from a mechanic I trust, but just wanted to make sure.
I have been told by MANY that this will do more damage than good on a Honda transmission.
Just drain and refill.
G-Man

What does Honda's service manual say?
Modern Hondas are supposed to get a drain-drive-drain service of about 4 cycles. "Flushing" isn't recommended.
And from my experience, you'd do good to avoid "flushing".
Assuming that I WILL go ahead with the fluid flush, how much should I expect to pay?
I don't know, how much is a new transmission these days? :-)
G-Man
PS, I consulted my AAMCO dealer whos mechanic was the head mechanic at my Honda dealer for years. They WILL NOT do a flush on a Honda transmission even if someone asks.
Do what ya have to, but don't complain at the results!
G-Man

Moochie wrote:

The reason that Honda says you can't 'flush' their trannies (as I understand it) is Murphy's Law.
There's more than a 50/50 chance that the bozos at Monkey Lube will hook up the hoses BACKWARDS and when they start pumping, the contents of the INTERNAL FILTER will be distributed equally throughout the transmission.
Yes, it's very expensive. Ask 'Chip', if he's around these days.....
'Curly'
For drain and refill it cost me 3 litre @7.something = $21.something + 30 min labour= $25
All prices is Canadian dollars and from a Honda dealer.
Moochie wrote:

= $21.something +

A half-hour of dealer labor is $25? Was this 20 years ago or something?
Dealer shop rate these days is more like $90 per hour. Even higher in some places. Even the independents are around $60-$70/hr.
And that drain and fill only replaced about half the total fluid, so you'd need to get it done several times to make sure most of it's fresh.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I must admit that I'm disappointed. I ask a simple question and I get a bunch of advice that I didn't ask for. I appreciate the concern about having a transmission FLUSH in a Honda, but I've decided to do it (no post on this board will change my mind). And I wanted to know how much a FLUSH costs, not a breakdown of how much labor costs these days. If you haven't had one done or don't know how much they cost, then don't reply to the post.

Enjoy.
If you didn't want advice, just pick up the phone and ask the dealer. You posted in a public newsgroup. Take the good with the bad.
Some of us see you standing on a bridge, and we are just trying to talk you down!
G-Man
Enjoy your flush!

Jump...jump...jump...jump...jump...
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Moochie wrote:

you ask for free advice from experienced experts, but it "disappoints" you? then why ask us? just pick up the phone and ask people who don't know - they'll tell you what you want to hear, and charge you for it too.

use the TELEPHONE. sheesh.

Moochie wrote:

It's a fool who ignores advice from those in the know...
JT

It's heartening to know you're flexible.

Okey-doke.
You wouldn't want to phone around, would you? Be a lot faster than posting here, and more accurate for your local market.
Hey, wait. I just replied when I wasn't supposed to, didn't I? Bad, BAD Tegger! A spanking for you with an old timing belt!
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGeR" wrote:

That's a big fault that I find with Honda automatics... No converter drain plug.
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

why? it's not necessary. and on a thin sheet converter like this, it would not only cause unnecessary balance issues, it would be a potential fatigue point.
jim beam wrote:

Why???
Why should one have to change fluid several times to renew and even then, some old fluid will remain. It is a major flaw in a lot of modern tin, er.. plastic.
There is no excuse for poor serviceability by Honda or any other manufacturer for that matter.
Shame on Honda for shaving a few cents in manufacturing savings that results in a major inconvenience for customers regarding the maintenance of their cars.
Just because it's a Honda does not mean it's perfect.
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

with respect, i don't think you're considering all the design criteria. as far as lubrication is concerned, there's really no need to fret too much about the changes. there's two main sources of fluid problems: contamination and heat degradation. contamination comes from friction lining wear [not as much of an issue with the honda design], from gear tooth wear and to a much lesser extent, bearing wear. as far as gear box control operation is concerned, the filter ensures contaminant particle size is kept below a critical level where they won't cause harm. and as you know, the filter can't be changed]. heat degradation is not common unless service conditions are unusual or there's something wrong. this, in combination with better lube technology these days, means a lot of cars not only specify highly extended change intervals, some [bmw] don't even specify a change at all and don't provide any kind of drain plug! my friend's 88 automatic accord had /never/ had a fluid change in 360k miles [yes, three hundred and sixty thousand miles] and that car ran & shifted like a champ.
so, sure, it's a "nice to have" to be able to change 100% of the fluid, but reality is, when looking into the actual service conditions of the lube itself, that it's just not that critical. balance that against the very sound mechanical reasons [converter design] for /not/ putting in a converter drain, and the 100% fluid change concept is easily abandoned.
jim beam wrote:

Uh, in the Texas heat, dino fluid is good for not much longer than 50K. Add to this the lack of a filter that cannot be changed (or cleaned) plus the lack of a drain plug in the converter (where the majority of fluid resides), Honda is shortchanging its customers pure and simple. The record of tranny failures speak for itself.
I'm done with this thread.
JT