Dingy Headlight

I have seen products to help cloudy looking headlights, do these do any good or are the hypE?

Reply to
thebigguy

I have seen products to help cloudy looking headlights, do these do any good or are the hypE?

I was able to use TurtleWax Headlight Lens Restorer on an 03 Pilot with good results.

Reply to
tww1491

thebigguy wrote in news:bf1fdb46-ff04-4af8-816d- snipped-for-privacy@hd10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

They all work, to some degree. From what I've seen, most work very well, especially the professionally-applied kinds.

The NHTSA's regulations in MVSS-108 require that plastic headlamp lenses be coated with an anti-abrasive substance. This substance--an epoxy--is what clouds-up in the presence of UV light (sunlight). Basically, re-clarification involves removal of the epoxy and the application of some method of removing the scratches resulting from the removal process.

Reply to
Tegger

I have used Meguire's PlastX. It does work, but the effect doesn't seem to last very long.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

"tww1491" wrote in news:RbYRp.42309$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.iad:

I used CrystalView headlight restorer on my Integra GS-R with good results,but instead of using their polishing sandpapers and compounds,I used a plastic polish and foam pad on a cordless drill.I guess it depends on how bad the lenses have degraded. Mine were only clouded,not really crazed and yellowed. Really bad lenses,I'd just replace with new fixtures. The reason they do this is that the UV protective coating wears off eventually,and then the plastic begins to degrade.

The really important part is the sealing liquid provided in the kit,which is a anti-UV coating that keeps the plastic from glazing soon again. It lasted me over a year,but then my Integra was stolen,stripped and torched,so I can't vouch for longer times. Before I used this kit,I used just the plastic polish and it would only stay clear for a couple of months,here in sunny Florida.

I bought the CrystalView product at Wal-Mart for $20,but I don't know if they carry it any more. CV does have their own website. They now offer headlight restoration in their auto department for $50.

Reply to
Jim Yanik
3 M Rubbing Compound works like magic. Guaranteed
Reply to
Clete

"Clete" wrote in news:ivbugc$7pc$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Mr.Top-poster; it may polish them clear,but they won't stay clear because there's no anti- UV coating. my Personal experience.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Reply to
Clete

"Clete" wrote in news:ivctnh$l6r$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Mr.Top poster; and if you use a product that comes with an anti-UV coating,then they last for years.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Reply to
Lecloony

You are right, they are all snake oil.

Buy replacement headlight assemblies.

Reply to
News

My point is 3M really works and works great.

Reply to
Lecloony

My point is I have tried 3M and a variety of others and it/they don't.

Reply to
News

Lecloony wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Mr Top poster,there's a good reason bottom posting is UseNet convention. It's similar to the 80 character line length limit that is also UseNet convention. and I'm sure you've seen posts where people didn't turn off the HTML on their posting agent.

People read a thread from top to bottom,and when new posts are at the top,the thread soon becomes hard to follow,particularly for newcomers. As you can see by this example.

It's not natural to top post. _______

As for not trying the 3M system,so what? some polishing systems are easier than others,but none of them are long lasting without an anti-UV coating.

I don't need to try every one to recognize that. Who wants to have to repolish their headlight lenses 3-4 times a year,particularly when you can easily apply the coating and not have to do it for years. I believe it's important for people to know that.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You didn't try 3M. If you did, you would be saying holy shit this stuff really works great instead of arguing. So my friend I KNOW you are full of it.

Reply to
Lecloony

Do too. Do not. Do too. Do not. Do too. Do not. My daddy can beat up your daddy. Can not. Can too.

If you children don't stop, I'll send you both to bed with no supper....

Reply to
Dragline

[...]

Boomer

Oh yeah?

After you eat the peanuts outta my sheeyit!

Reply to
News

Too funny!!!

Reply to