filler neck tube

Good day.

The filler neck tube on my other car (93 altima) is starting to rust through.

Instead of replacing with a dealer part, could I cut the rusty part of the tube out and put a rubber (fuel proof) hose in between?

For now, we put some rubber around the area with the hole and put hose clamps around it.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated!

loewent via CarKB.com

Buy the Real Deal. I *CAN'T* for my '88 Supra and am having a HELL of a time trying to patch it with various methods.

Reply to
Hachiroku

well the part is over $300 from the dealer. Guess I'm looking for a more cost effective solution.

If I had your supra, on the other hand, I would agree.

The Altima is just a commuter though, not a collectors item.

I'm heading to the wrecker to see if I can find one in better shape than mine. I think I will get lucky, as there is a rubber hose after the filler neck going to the tank, so when they remove the tank, I'm thinking they must cut the rubber hose and not the filler neck. Here's hoping anyways!

Either that, or I will try to find the right size hose. The only issue with the hose is that without a flare on the end of the tube, I don't know if a rubber hose will stay on with just a hose clamp.

Thanks for the response!

Hachiroku ???? wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

Hachi, Perhaps you need to think outside the, er, chassis a bit. In the final analysis it's just a thin wall steel tube with various bends is it not? Perhaps there's an inner "burp" tube as well.

I'd start with talking to the local exhaust shop and see if they can bend up a suitable piece. If not, or exhaust tube is too thick, check local metal shops or hotrod fabricators for someone with a mandrel tube bender.

The final issue is getting the new tube protected from rust. Again, look for a local metal plating place to zinc plate it inside and out. Or buy one of the small part home plating kits you can find on the net. Get the outside powder or epoxy painted if you like.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

There is likely rust in areas of the filler neck other than just where it's leaking. This rust will continue to spread. It will contaminate the rest of your fuel system, fuel pump, filter, and injectors. It's best to just fix it and be done with it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

OK so I ended up going to the local wrecker. Found a car that someone had obviously taken care of well, the bolts I needed to undo for the filler neck came out very easily. Compared to the ones on my car that snapped both bolt heads off. (Drill, tap, repeat...) Every time I have to get a bolt off on that car, I snap one at least. I even use impact (lightly) instead of just a wrench. Frustrating....

I took the tube to the car wash and very carefully washed the dirt and loose crap off of it. Got home, and lightly used a steel brush to remove more crap. This was also a good opportunity to ensure that this tube was sound.

After I cleaned it, I applied rust killer primer to the entire surface of the tube. After that I applied spray rubber to the entire surface. Reason behind this was because the mounting holes for the protective plastic shield had rusted off. The filler neck is now exposed to rocks and debris coming from the tires, and I thought it would be wise to give the tube a little cushion. After all the treatment that this part got, I am assuming it will be the last sound part on the car! :)

Mounted it all up, and every thing appears to be OK. The moment of truth will be when I fill it with gas tomorrow.... very carefully! I am certain its OK though.

If this solution fails, my next try will be some Eaton Aeroquip FC300 or FC350 hose. This is what we use as diesel fuel lines at my work on Touring coaches, It won't collapse, and it is fuel proof.

Thanks for all suggestions, any comments are appreciated.

loewent wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

HOLY CRAP!!!!! The tube for the Supra, if I could get it, is $135!!!! I thought *THAT* was a lot!!!

Try looking on line for dealers that sell over the Internet at wholesale prices. You should be able to beat this price like a red-headed stepchild!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

(Didn't you used to frequent the Toyota group???)

Yeah, I was thinking about that. There is a 'burp' tube inside, too.

The other alternative is that there is a race car builder in my area that makes fuel cells; one of these days I'll actually call him!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup, still do, also this one, and the mitsubishi group, as I have a Summit Wagon AWD and a "Talonized" Summit GTX coupe.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS