Fixed my shifter

98 Civic, 225000kms 5 spd
My shifter had gotten really sloppy, lots of movement side to side even when in gear. It wasn't so bad as to restrict my driving, but quite annoying
nonetheless.
I ended up replacing these 2 plastic bushings right underneath the shifter. See website for diagram. Now its tight as can be, and my car feels brand new again! Yay!
http://tinyurl.com/eyrzo
The part I replaced is number 5, it cost $4 at the dealership. Now that I know what they look like, I may try to have some aluminum or brass ones made up next time... Anyone have a source on these?
t :)

disallow via CarKB.com wrote:

    You want your trans to shift like buttered Teflon, stick with the plastic ones. bob
I may try to have some aluminum or brass ones made

There is discussion that hard bushings can be bad for the trans. When you have sloppy or errant forces, rubber bushings absorb this, hard bushings transmit it to the tranny.