Honda cars less dependable than Toyotas?

Page 3 of 4
wrote:

It's hard to ignor experiences regardless what you read. Some people here say this and that as well as elsewhere so in the end, I rely on my own judgment and past experiences.

I've owned both Honda and Toyota vehicles that my wife and I have driven to about 200,000 miles, two Hondas and one Toyota. We currently have one new Toyota, one 10-year old Accord and my daughter owns a 2004 Accord.
Overall, our Toyotas required fewer dollars to keep; less expensive repairs and maintenance. From a dependability standpoint, I've experienced very few failures that prevented using any of the cars but my score is zero failures of this sort from my Toyotas vs. a few from my Hondas.
On the other hand, my Toyotas are appliance-like; they keep on running, provide great service but offer no joy in driving them. Frankly, some newer Hondas aren't much better in the fun-to-drive category.
It goes without saying that cars with fewer options/accessories have fewer things to break and are cheaper to keep. You didn't mention it but my Toyotas were less expensive to insure than my Hondas; lowering the total cost of ownership. I've been able to exceed EPA MPG estimates in both Honda and Toyota cars so that's a wash in my book.
YMMV

For me it was about wash in the dependability category betwen Toyota and Honda cars I kept for a long time. My main beef with Honda is that it is harder to do basic maintenance or repair jobs by a do-it-yourselfer than with Toyota. For instance I can't even do my own oil change on my Accord due to accessibility issues. Also, Honda repairs seem to be a bit more expensive than Toyota's.

I totally agree with that.

I don't know about that but everybody seems to agree about the high road noise in Hondas.

Yes, Hondas seem to be on the top of the list of most stolen cars. That's reflected in the insurance rates.

Same here.
snip

I bought a 2010 Sienna several months ago and one of the factors was road noise at highway speeds. IMHO, Sienna is limo-like whereas Odyssey is noisy and rougher riding. That's a poor trade-off for marginally better handling in my book. (My Sienna came with simply awful tires. I'll probably put on a set of Michelin HydroEdge tires; that should improve handling a bit.)
I'd buy any Honda sight unseen. But they do tend to have a lot of road noise. Now that I'm almost deaf anyway, doesn't make much difference.
Wifey has the new 2009 CRV and loves it. Great price and appointments compared to the competitors.
wrote: snip

I bought a 2010 Sienna several months ago and one of the factors was road noise at highway speeds. IMHO, Sienna is limo-like whereas Odyssey is noisy and rougher riding. That's a poor trade-off for marginally better handling in my book. (My Sienna came with simply awful tires. I'll probably put on a set of Michelin HydroEdge tires; that should improve handling a bit.)
On 03/24/10 15:21, Cameo wrote:

Huh? What model Honda (ans/or Acura)? I owned an 88' Acura Integra sedan and own an '03 Accord sedan. Have done oil changes on both from the get go (inc. oil filters), also change brake pads, cabin & air filters, etc. Getting harder for me since I'm 68 and have Parkinson's Disease, but I allow longer.
On 3/26/2010 5:45 AM Tony Harding spake these words of knowledge:

I agree. I have an 03 sedan and an 04 coupe. No problem changing the oil, and I'm a very large person, although only in my 50's.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
We have enough youth; how about a fountain of smart?

On 03/26/10 07:22, Dave Kelsen wrote:

Thanks, Dave, big guy here, too, ... that's why God made hydraulic jacks which lift the car well off the ground. Also why I pull the R/F wheel to change the oil & filter - more room. After some experience I change the oil filter from a sitting position.
:)

'94 Accord.
Cameo wrote:

Is your Accord 4 or 6 cylinder? My 1995 accord with a 4 cylinder is not easy at all on replacing the oil filter, but I have managed it twice.
By comparison, the filter on the 1994 Camry is on the front of the engine with space all around it. That is the easiest car oil filter I have accessed during my lifetime.

Four cylinders, and the oil filter is sqeezed in the back at the firewall. I think it can only be accessed from below.
On 03/26/10 15:28, Cameo wrote:

Is that noticeably different? I have no experience with the 199x models.
On 3/27/10 6:26 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com, "Tony Harding"

The oil filter is more difficult to change on the 4 cylinder models vs. the 6s because its located between the engine and firewall, directly above the exhaust and only accessible from underneath. On the 90's models its in the middle of the engine, on the newer ones (I am comparing with my '06 CRV) its still behind and above the exhaust, but closer to the right wheel & you can at least see it if you take the wheel off. It is positioned on the CR-V such that there is virtually no way to avoid spilling oil all over the back of the engine, drive shaft & exhaust when you take it off.
All my Nissans & Infinities ('91 240sx to '09 G37) are trivially easy compared to the Hondas.
On 03/27/2010 08:22 AM, E. Meyer wrote:

you have to jack up the vehicle [or drive it onto ramps] to change the oil anyway because you need to access the drain plug. so, while it's up, it's trivial to reach the filter - it's right by the drain plug in fact.

i can't see the problem. if you can't reach the filter, you shouldn't be working on the car in the first place. that's not a slight on people that can't, but to do auto maintenance safely, i think a small barrier to access weeds out those more likely to make mistakes - and that is a good thing.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I don't think anyone cares!

Nobody said you don't have to jack up the vehicle (though on the Nissans v6s, you don't - you take off the right side splash guard and cut the wheels to the right & the drain plug and filter are right there). I'm not sure which car you're talking about, certainly not the Hondas I am. On the '96 Odyssey, the oil filter is way up on the center of the back of the engine & above the exhaust. About 2 feet from the drain plug. On the CRV, the filter is above the exhaust and the drive shafts, at least a foot and a half form the drain plug.

On 03/28/2010 12:16 PM, E. Meyer wrote:

yes, precisely the hondas you're talking about.

i.e. both are accessible from exactly the same position you have to assume to undo the drain plug to the oil out.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

True, but as I age, spending time underneath the car is something that I am liking less and less.
If I can take off the oil plug, get back out from underneath, and then deal with the filter on my feet, that is a good thing.
That is the way it works on my Miata, like the Accord it is low enough to require jacking it up or putting it on ramps every time.
Out of the cars I now service, a Miata, Camry and Accord, all 4 cylinder models, the Accord is the hardest one to change the oil on, but I agree it is not that big a deal and that I can do it as for as long as I can still get underneath a car, hopefully for another decade or three. :-)
I really want a pit, or a lift. I can always dream...........I need a garage first.
Pat
E. Meyer wrote:

The 1994 Camry that I service is the easiest vehicle I have ever dealt with while changing the oil.
No jacking the car up, I just reach forward underneath the front end with a wrench and spin the drain plug off.
The filter is on the front of the engine, on top, with space all around it. I have never even used a filter wrench on it, and when the filter comes off there is no oil drip from the filter hole to worry about.
pws wrote:

I should have mentioned that this Camry is a 4 cylinder model. I think it would be impossible to make the oil filter any easier to get to on any car, it is as easy to access as the oil dip stick.
I also had a 1982 Ford Econoline Van that was even easier to access the drain plug on, but the filter was not nearly as convenient to remove and replace.
Does anyone know if a later model Camry, like a 2009 model with a 4 cylinder, still has the filter so easy to get to?