Honda Fit Mileage?

Page 1 of 2
I bought a 07 Honda Fit Sport version in April and so far, am only averaging 22 mpg. This is mainly surface street driving with 60 mile round trips each weekend. About 3/4 of total driving has been with a/
c fan speed #2 or 3.
Can this be normal? I don't normally use the paddle shifters, but thinking that would help some.

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but it seems incredibly low to me, as I'm averaging 35.69 MPG, but that is for a 5 speed manual trans. I think the mileage would depend a large part on what your speed is when the a/c is on. In city driving, especially stop and go, the A/C can take a huge toll, especially for a small engine such as the 1.5 liter Fit engine.
Also, I think the paddle shifters would not increase your mileage; I think, if anything, they would decrease it.
Robert A. Cunningham
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Try switching the A/C off to accelerate, leaving it on when cruising, braking and stopped. Also try being a little more gentle with the throttle; speed isn't as important as how hard you accelerate.
All current model Honda's turn the A/C compressor off during spirited acceleration. The Myth Busters proved that car's get better mileage with the A/C on and windows closed.
"mjc13" wrote:

-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
TomP wrote:

First, you can save even more gas by turning the A/C off during normal acceleration, not just "spirited." Second, the A/C uses more power than just the ventilation system, with the windows closed. I don't believe anyone mentioned driving with the windows open. If you leave the A/C on and the windows closed and think that's enough, you'll lose 2-5 MPG. depending on driving conditions.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:23:50 GMT, "mjc13<REMOVETHIS>"

Actually, that was the result of the computer indicated mileage which found the AC had no effect at all. When they actually drove the SUVs, the one with the AC on ran out of fuel first.
http://cartalk.com/board/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number41160&page=6&vc=1

I tested my '98 Odyssey with A/C vs. windows partway down at 75mph and posted the results in this newsgroup about a year ago. I found that the A/C reduced fuel economy by about 6% vs. 2% for partially lowering the windows. (I only lowered the windows part way because there was too much turbulence lowering them all the way.)
Gordon McGrew wrote:

Sounds reasonable. And you usually need to just lower one window partway to greatly enhance the ventilation...
"mjc13" wrote:

I filled my wife's Fit last week and she managed 22.5MPG. The best recorded mileage is 25.00. last September. This is ALL in town, short trip driving.
It is what it is... Why have a car with A/C if you're not going to use it? Personally, I run the A/C 365 days a year.
People that are fanatics about MPG, maybe should consider an Insight or Prius.
-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
TomP wrote:

or an old civic. mine will do 40+mpg on the freeway driven legally. or better yet, a crx hf. that will do 50+.
TomP wrote:

I also never said not to run the A/C. Let me spell it out, carefully: in city driving, press the A/C button when you're up to speed or decellerating. Leave it on while stopped. Turn it off only to accelerate. If that's too hard, then don't do it. We won't be waiting to hear the next installment.
"mjc13" wrote:

I promise to read carefully....

Your driving suggestion (above) is proof of your fanaticism. But it's your right...
Just admit, you bought the wrong car, sell it and end the torture.
On the other hand you can probably sell it for what you paid, less tax, tags and the stomach lining you've lost from worrying about the fuel economy.
-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
TomP wrote:

I can't resist one last response. I've been averaging 35-40 MPG *using the A/C.* If you did in fact read carefully, you'd know that my complaint about my '95 EX sedan is with the way it's geared, not the great fuel economy. This from a car that is much heavier than the Fit, rides at least as well, and is more comfortable. It also handles great. In short, if you want to haul stuff and drive a sporty-feeling car, get a Fit. If you want exceptional fuel economy, don't. If you want to improve your fuel economy, follow my suggestions. If you don't, then...don't.
If you want good acceleration above 2nd gear, avoid the mid '90's EX sedan.
mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

you and your gearing. what rpm's do you have at 70?

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

How many miles on it so far? If not much, it's probably not broken in.

how long are most of your trips in town (count all legs when the engine stays warm as one trip)? All cars get awful economy the first mile or so as the engine warms up.
If you don't mind doing a chicken dance, you can try something that has worked for some Prius owners when their economy is low after the car is serviced. Sometimes the parking brake is set too tight, so the procedure is to apply the parking brake hard and release it about ten times. Cheap and easy, even if only a shot in the dark.
Mike

just the driver or with a couple of passengers,or a lot of extra weight in the car? Have you checked tire pressures? Are you one who's heavy on the gas pedal?(I note it's a "Sport" version...)
running AC will drop mileage a bit. It's an extra load on the engine,and IIRC,the gov't mileage tests do not include running AC. Fan speed doesn't matter.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Here are your EPA figures. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&i d"862
The EPA MPG is 27-city 34-Hwy.
You are on the low side of owner reported mileage of 21-city 37-hwy.
Here are some good tips on driving efficiently: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml
Hey...thanks everyone for the tips!
The car was new in April this year, about 1,300 miles on it. My driving is usually local, no more than 10 miles a shot, usually more like 5. But I do get on the freeway for a 60 mile round trip every Sat.
Not heavy on accelleration or speed, pretty conserative driver here. 70-80 on freeway (this is California, if yu don't keep up, you get creamed). Not a hard breaker either.
May try the parking break trick, that sounds reasonsable. If mileage does not improve in the next month, I will probably take it in for a look see.
Thanks again!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That's far to fast for good hwy mileage. Mileage falls off very rapidly over 60 mph, particularly with boxy shaped vehicles. My well shaped mid sized car's mileage drops 10% going from 60mph to 70mph. I would expect a greater than 10% mileage drop with a smaller engine and a boxy rear design vehicle.

Mebbe. My 2004 Accord got the same mileage anywhere between 55 and 80, far as I could tell. And my 2007 gets the same, too, just lower. But the Fit does end rather abruptly.
J.