Honda/Toyota vs American

Page 2 of 2
On 4/29/2005 9:47 PM Jack Hamilton spake these words of knowledge:

Exactly.
Except that unlike Fiat, Chrysler is not an automaker based in Europe. The parent corporation is based in Europe. But Chrysler is no more based in Europe than Mercedes is based in California.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
... As I said before, I never repeat myself.

Most of the problems with the cars I have fought were design problems rather than construction quality issues. The Dodge I had even had a Mitsubishi power train, and it was the worst system in the car. But the Taurus had a 6 inch clutch(!!!!) on a large 4 cylinder engine and a raft of other screwy design problems. So I don't buy or recommend Mitsubishi, Nissan, Dodge or Ford. Still watching Chevy.
Mike
Your kid bot a Cobalt? A first-year GM ANYTHING...let alone the bottom-of-the-line Chevy? A bad, bad, bet.

Mike

GM has seemingly done a good job with the Cobalt from both an interior and exterior appearance standpoint. Pricing is right too. However, there's nothing more frightening in the automotive industry than a first-year GM product. Regardless of whether it is a sedan, pickup truck or SUV. Cobalt does have loads of potential though. The doors shut with the sound of the late 80s Mercedes-Benz products. Solid as can be. Overall, you can tell that GM has tried really, really hard with the Cobalt. It *should* be a winner for them if it doesn't have too many introductory year bugs that scare people off for subsequent year purchases. I would even consider a Cobalt myself as a daily commuter car after it has been in production for three full years. It has plenty of room in it, should be good on fuel economy, looks decent enough if cosmetics are your thing, and can be well equipped if you're willing to spring for the LT package. I have my eye on this one as a fourth vehicle to be used mainly for commuting back and forth to work. It definitely won't be a replacement for my 2002 Lexus IS300. I will always have more confidence in the overall reliability of my Lexus, Honda and Nissan products than I would a second or third year domestic. Wouldn't matter to me if it were a GM, Ford OR Daimler-Chrysler product.
Ron M.

Ron, After driving a Lexus for several years, you will learn to really hate driving the Cobalt. I own a 99 Accord EX. I recently had to rent a small car that had almost none of the features that are in my 99 Accord. It did not even have a CD player. I was really glad when I was able to return it and start driving my Accord. You will probably feel the same way everytime you get back in your Lexus. The Cobalt will probably run very well for two or three years and at that point--things will start breaking down. I hope that I am wrong--but don't be surprised if it happened to the Cobalt. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the response--and I understand where you're coming from here. Sometimes it's tough getting back into my 1990 Nissan 300ZX and driving it after having driven my IS300 for a few days straight. You're right in that you do get spoiled to an upgraded vehicle. :-) I was hoping that maybe a well-equipped Cobalt wouldn't be such an extreme letdown from the IS300, but maybe it would be. I'd have to take a Cobalt on a long, long, LONG test drive before purchasing one for a work commuter. The General hasn't gotten my money yet. :-) At this point it's nothing more than a thought.
Take care and have a great weekend.\
Ron M.

If you do decide to get a Cobalt instead of Honda, make sure that it has the most powerful engine that comes in a Cobalt. The small car that I rented had a really small engine (1.5). It ran really well in the city but when I went up a grade, I had to hold the gas pedal to the floor just to keep up with the traffic. I never have had to that with my Honda Accord. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

My father-in-law and several other people I know will never buy another Ford. Too many suspension, ABS and automatic transmission failures.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ