Lexus, Toyota, or Honda?

I currently own a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS and am looking for new wheels (and the rest of the car to go with it). I have been happy with Ava and looked at the new Toyota Avalon, Camry, and the Honda Accord. I haven't looked at the Lexus ES350 yet because the dealership is about a 2 hour drive from here. The reviews look good.

My initial conclusion is they all look good. The Toyota / Lexus are somewhat quieter and smoother, the Honda probably more reliable.

I hear that Toyota quality and reliability is slipping and the 6 speed transmission used in all the cars that I am considering has problems. How serious are they? The Lexus seems nice but I am being told that it must be taken to the Lexus dealer for warranty repairs, a 4 hour drive round trip. Is this true, or can the local Toyota dealer handle it?

I considered the Accura TL, but it does not come with cloth seats.

Reply to
ray

I'd stay away from Avalon and Camry for another couple of years, since the trans troubles of the Camry are well known ... since they're both built at Georgetown, KY I wonder if the trans problems are common to both cars. I think unless you enjoy having your tush kissed and your coffee from Starbucks, I'd keep away from a new Lexus...overpriced and too far to go for service. Why not an Accord v-6? And you have an Avalon with cloth seats? Nothing wrong with leather...which I have in my 03 Avalon. It's surprisingly unsticky and not hot in summer.

Reply to
mack

If that 6 speed really is your only option for the Toyota products, go for the Accord. At least you'll get better handling to make up for the harsher ride...

Reply to
mjc1

Funny that the Powertrain of the V6 Camry is same as the ES350 and no problems on the Lexus. Anyway, the Camry transmission problem is well noted, however I've heard of a small problems on the Accord VCM as well. Don't you want to consider the Subaru Legacy or Hyundai Sonata?

Reply to
EdV

You could call your local Toyota dealerships and inquire whether they would do warranty repair on a Lexus. My guess is that they would not. A 4 hour round-trip for dealer support? Why is Lexus even on your radar screen. You've gotta really love a car to put up with that.

Reply to
CamryMan98

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
sharx35

Actually, the Lexus ES (a Camry with different sheet metals) also has the defective U-series transmission flare problems. Just google. The following owner's problem started getting worse after only 2500 miles and the dealer's two other new cars are doing it too!! So no luck to get it fixed for this owner.

Why would you want a Lexus anyway?

Reply to
johngdole

They're very well made cars. They're also quite popular, if you hadn't noticed.

What do you drive, john?

Reply to
DaveW

is a year old.

Reply to
ACAR

you can actually get warranty work done by any qualified mechanic in an "emergency", as Ray O posted (looks like some messages aren't cross- posted properly):

"Warranty work can be done by another shop in an emergency, but the vehicle owner has to pay the other shop and retain any parts that were replaced and submit the receipt and used parts to a Lexus dealer for reimbursement."

So driving the distance for warranty work will be a PIA. Lexus ES is a Toyota Camry V6, with the same problematic U660E transmission that skips gears (V6/U660E combination is best avoided for now). So CamryMan98 is right, why a Lexus? These aren't true luxury cars if people can look beyind the sheet metal.

Reply to
johngdole

What ever you buy have a nearby dealer , mine is 5 minutes, I would not get a car that even needed a one way 1/2 hrs drive, you would loose 2 hrs in 1 day, you could loose 8 hrs driving for any minor thing.

Reply to
ransley