ignitions keys for 2010 Honda Civic

I'm not going to disclaim my own ignorance about ignition keys, so I'll just go ahead with my question: Is there a battery in the ignition key for a 2010 Honda Civic? The reason I'm asking is that it seems to progressively get more difficult to unlock the door with my ignition key.

Oh, do you have a key with remote lock/unlock buttons physically on the key itself?
That's a radio transmitter, and yes, it requires a battery to operate. As the battery weakens, so does the range at which the transmitter operates.
Wow. I have a Toyota from 2007, and the factory battery is still in the transmitter and still works great. Looks like Honda found the lowest Chinese bidder for transmitter batteries. I guess every tenth of a cent counts.
On 11/4/12 3:40 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Don't you ever have anything positive, much less informative, to say about Honda? You seem singularly focused on poor-mouthing them and running them down every time you post...
--
Don't forget to change your clocks on Saturday-- and your President on
Tuesday.

I believe I did. Read again.
That's a radio transmitter, and yes, it requires a battery to operate.
That's quite positive. It's nice that even the Civic comes with some nice amenities.
I also compared this dude's battery going bad after 3 years to the comparable Toyota battery still going strong at 6 years. I'm positive that shows Honda is down to cutting corners in the batteries they put in their remote transmistters.
I'm also positive that if they're cutting corners there, much bigger things are going on under the sheet metal.
(Of course, I'm positive of that also because I know a Honda test engineer who mourns for the loss of the old Honda he knew when he went there in the first place. If you want a chance at getting what you knew Honda to be, buy Acura. But shop carefully.)
On 11/04/2012 02:55 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

acura. pah. you get either an over-expensive behemoth, or an over-expensive civic that doesn't even drive like a civic used to. i don't call that much of an alternative.
--
fact check required

Like I said, shop carefully. Not all Acura products are behemoths or the equivalent of the Cadillac Cimarron. (Well, maybe it's getting worse...)
What it comes down to is, you have to pay a significantly higher chunk of change even for the chance to get the quality that Honda was known for in the past.
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 11:16:51 -0800 (PST), Ivory123

My 2010 Accord had one of those "smart" keys, and never really worked right, had a sticky button that got stickier. The second key I kept in a desk, the battery died in under three years when never used!
I think even if the battery dies and the buttons seize up, you can still use the key as a key - but I'm not certain.
I've also heard that the dealer charges up the wazoo to replace the battery, not sure if you can do it yourself (I suppose it must be possible, but there might be some trick involved).
--
My 2013 EXL has no key at all, just a magic fob, God knows how it
works, probably involves irradiating my nads or all passers-by or