Impact screwdriver

Reference was made to an impact screwdriver sold by www.brandsonsale.com. Does anyone have experience with this item?
My favorite was made by H. K. Porter, 30 years ago. Porter now
belongs to Cooper Tools, and I haven't found listing of the drivers, just cable and bolt cutters. Anyone found these drivers lately?
I used to run a motorcycle repair shop. Impact drivers are essential in that business. We found the driver then sold by Sears to reliably ream out every phillips head it was used on. The Porter never damaged heads unless improperly applied.
My son has become involved with classic dirt bikes and needs an impact driver, can't have mine.
Please help me find him a good, reliable, reasonably-priced (Snap-on is outrageous!) impact driver.
Thanks.
Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA
Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
snipped-for-privacy@cybermesa.net wrote:

-----------------------
For $20 CAN (about US$17), I bought one from Canadian Tire . . It came from the land of Whun-Hung-Lo, and will probably not last forever. Maybe I should use a wooden mallet to hit it, since the butt end is starting to show signs of cracking.
It's the #1 way to get Honda disk rotors off, and I'm sure I'll find other uses for it.
'Curly'
On 2005-04-10 "motsco__"@interbaun.com said: >Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda > snipped-for-privacy@cybermesa.net wrote: >> Reference was made to an impact screwdriver sold by www. >>brandsonsale.com. Does anyone have experience with this item? >> My favorite was made by H. K. Porter, 30 years ago. Porter now >> belongs to Cooper Tools, and I haven't found listing of the >>drivers, just cable and bolt cutters. Anyone found these drivers >lately? > >> I used to run a motorcycle repair shop. Impact drivers are >>essential in that business. We found the driver then sold by >>Sears to reliably ream out every phillips head it was used on. >>The Porter never damaged heads unless improperly applied. >> My son has become involved with classic dirt bikes and needs an >>impact driver, can't have mine. >> Please help me find him a good, reliable, reasonably-priced >>(Snap-on is outrageous!) impact driver. >> Thanks. >> Tom Willmon >> near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA >> Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered >----------------------- >For $20 CAN (about US$17), I bought one from Canadian Tire . . I'd rather avoid Chinese, and international purchasing, importing. Thank you, though.
>Maybe I should use a wooden mallet to hit it, since the >butt end is starting to show signs of cracking. Might think of returning it for replacement. A good one won't crack. My Porter has some light dinging where I used a steel hammer on it, at first. Since, I have struck it with a small 10 oz. brass mallet, or the black (hard) face of a Lixie "No-Bounce" 1 lb. shot-filled hammer when I want some serious twisting.
>It's the #1 way to get Honda disk rotors off, and I'm sure I'll find >other uses for it. It's the best deal for ornery phillips-head screws.
Tom Willmon,near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA
Every profession is a conspiracy against the lay person. - G. B. Shaw
Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
Good luck with that. Though I admire your desire to reduce the US trade deficit... lol hey wait a minute, i live in canada, forget that! :)
I posted that URL the other day, not that I recommend the URL, I was just looking for an example of the tool itself. Whenever you say 'impact' anything, people usually assume you need compressed air to run it.... :)
I got mine at Canadian Tire here in Canada as well, showing the same signs of cracking, but I could care less. I have seen these as low as $10 at the local surplus shop. The tool is perfect for any stripped or stubborn fastener (works better on screws though it can be used on bolts) You need to have the room to swing a hammer though, not always a luxury when workin on a honda...
I was at Home Depot the other day, and say an ad for a free Bosch impact driver if you buy a Bosch set. I also saw a DeWalt, B&D, Makita, etc.
If your looking for a 1/2" cordless Impact driver, Kragen's had one for $29 last Christmas, but now they are $39. It looks very similar to the Snap-On 1/2" impact driver, at a 1/4 of the cost.

http://www.kd-tools.com/1140.htm I've had one of these for about 35 years. No problems. I guess it's not a good idea, but I've always used a steel hammer on it. Don't know the price but I wouldn't think it's as much as Snap-On.
John

I bought mine at Sears, a few months ago. IIRC it was $40 US for the set.
Mike
On 2005-04-11 snipped-for-privacy@cybertrails.com said: >Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda
> [snip] >> My favorite was made by H. K. Porter, 30 years ago. Porter now >> belongs to Cooper Tools, and I haven't found listing of the >>drivers, just cable and bolt cutters. Anyone found these drivers >lately? > A recent post to this thread cited KD Tools #1140. Thank you! That looks exactly like the tool I want. [snip] >> We found the driver then sold by >>Sears to reliably ream out every phillips head it was used on. >I bought mine at Sears, a few months ago. IIRC it was $40 US for >the set. Mike - I'm particularly narrow-minded about Sears tools, having bought several that turned out to be mediocre. Though the hammer-drivers we had problems were from 3 decades ago, I have a long memory. "Once bitten, ..." I buy nothing from Sears. Too much bad experience with both products and staff.
However, I would be interested in hearing if your experience is different from my shop's.
Again, thank you. You guys answered my query well.
Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA
Dishonest Person - One who farts & blames the dog.
Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

brake disks and it worked okay - not great, but okay. I did strip out the first head I used it on because I didn't realize the screw head was #3 instead of #2 (d'oh!), but it got the other 3 out successfully. I felt like it was hard to hold properly - straight and firm - but I've had no experience with other impact screw drivers.
Mike
"twillmon" wrote: > Reference was made to an impact screwdriver sold by > www.brandsonsale.com. > Does anyone have experience with this item? > > My favorite was made by H. K. Porter, 30 years ago. Porter > now > belongs to Cooper Tools, and I haven't found listing of the > drivers, > just cable and bolt cutters. Anyone found these drivers > lately? > > I used to run a motorcycle repair shop. Impact drivers are > essential > in that business. We found the driver then sold by Sears to > reliably > ream out every phillips head it was used on. The Porter never > damaged > heads unless improperly applied. > > My son has become involved with classic dirt bikes and needs > an impact > driver, can't have mine. > > Please help me find him a good, reliable, reasonably-priced > (Snap-on > is outrageous!) impact driver. > > Thanks. > > > Tom Willmon > near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA > > Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
Tom, as I recall, the problem in the early day was "which is it- righty/tighty or lefty/tighty...? :P Not the fault of the tools.Theres also the question of the quality of the hardware used on Bridgestone motorcycles :roll: . Its been a long time- Nick Jones