Ratchet screwdriver

Blah right in the middle of undoing some torx bolts the 6 month old barely used blue handled halfords ratchet screwdriver fell in to pieces as I was using it!!

I was removing a N/S mk4 golf light cluster (some yobbo smashed it in the night) to replace it and it fell in to pieces and dropped in to the unknown!

Can anyone recommend a quality one for light/general use ?

TIA

Reply to
Pete

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:29:29 +0100, Pete dribbled:

Probably had a fault. If you can find the bits, take it back to Halfords. They've always exchanged any tools I've found faulty (or broken through misuse) with no quibble at all. I think their tools are just about the best low price tools you will come across.

Reply to
Mike P

You'll have to look out for them as they are on offer only - not stock - but Lidl tools are generally excellent. Especially at the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Britool one's not bad.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Pete" wrote: [snip]

The Stanley ones have done well for me:

I know that Stanley isn't the company it used to be, but these screwdrivers have done really well for me. I now have three of them. The oldest has been used for some tough jobs and now lives in my tractor toolbox.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , Pete writes

Sorry, - I still use the wooden handled ratchet driver I inherited from Dad in 1959. The legend on the shaft reads:

W Marples & Sons, Sheffield England.

Searching on this name suggests it may be a collector's item. :)

Reply to
Gordon H

I'm probably odd in that I've never liked ratchet screwdrivers. I did have an affair with the pump type before power screwdrivers arrived, but I now use either the power one or a plain old solid one. Do use a ratchet handle with a socket set, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Nope; never use 'em. I don't find them any quicker at all.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Marples are still in business, making good quality chisels, which they are well known for, and screwdrivers and other assorted, mainly woodwork centred kit.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :

I have never got on with them either, I also don't make much use of power screwdrivers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 18:13:07 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) dribbled:

Hateful things, I find they take longer than a normal screwdriver.

Reply to
Mike P

Only when they have a coarse ratchet:) much of the time I use a plain screwdriver, the rest I use a bosch power screwdriver (a great bargain from b and q trade centre) or an elu impact screwdriver. A power driver is nearly an essential on many cars, such as a Fusion air filter which has about a dozen or more screws to undo. On odd stuff the snap-on ratchet screwdriver (very fine ratchet) is very useful, especially for hidden screws. For electrical dismantling I sometimes use a Mac overdrive ratchet screwdriver which can rotate the bit at 4 times the speed of turning the handle. But basically a few good quality normal fixed screwdrivers are definitely a must, some of mine are over thirty years old and still good (snap-on and Wurth)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have a small Makita impact screwdriver which is ace. Will remove painted over slotted screws from a house door hinge with ease - something that can be difficult with an ordinary screwdriver. They're also useful for screwing down floorboards, etc. But I can't say I've ever used it on the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Funnily enough, my impact driver has been used on cars more than anything, mainly for brake disc and drum securing screws.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Wait till you try an air impact screwdriver on those. There is an air chisel attachment that takes screwdriver bits. It can remove those solidly rusted in screws that nothing else will touch, because the inward impact is so violent it breaks up the rust on the threads and out they come, a revelation after the old hit it and scream impact drivers.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

I wish when I was young enough to enjoy doing those things, such tools existed!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I have had this one for about 25 years, snap-on of course, about 25 quid when I added it to my revolving credit account. It is still using the original bits too !! Simple and effective.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have a bigger one for that. Which I'd not describe as a screwdriver.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly the same principle as my impact drill/drivers, which are electric. But it's a rotary 'kick' - not inward.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Club hammer? Yep, I've resorted to that in the past.

I still try to get the screw out if possible as the physical effort of beating them to death gets harder each year!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan