Kia Optima beats Accord

Page 1 of 2
The latest Consumers Reports surprised me with their rating of the Kia Optima over the Honda Accord LXP. The Optima had more features than the Accord, plus a more powerful I4 -- and an available 6 speed manual or
automatic at a couple of thou less. Reports did not recommend the Optima because they have no reliability data. But, with the Accord only having average reliability I suspect Kia will have no trouble matching the Honda in this area. Of course, I have no desire to get rid of my 06 I4 Accord couple for quite a long time, but the Kia/Hyundai group may be worth looking at in a few years.
On 5/8/11 5:03 PM, tww1491 wrote:

...as long as they can sustain above average frequency of repairs...

Who? Kia or Honda?
'cuz, Honda is right there at 1989 Hyundai levels as we speak.
On 5/8/11 6:50 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

No, that's not so. Take a look at the frequency of repairs data in last month's Consumer Reports-- the automotive issue. You'll find Honda very highly rated year after year. True the Accord is only average this year but look at the 10 year trends...
On 05/08/2011 06:14 PM, Col. Panic wrote:

frequency of repairs of /what/? the p.o.s. transmissions honda have been using for the last 10 years have been a serious issue and both the failures and the customer service related to them have been so bad that they've alienated many die-hard [former] honda customers.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 5/8/11 11:55 PM, jim beam wrote:

A detailed F.O.R. of all major systems and accessories listed individually and broken out by year. There's a whole lot of hard data there that refutes your assessment of the transmissions.
On 05/09/2011 04:44 AM, Col. Panic wrote:

hmm, let's do this troll's homework for him, google "honda transmission problem" and look at the first page of "About 597,000 results":
<http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/honda-transmission-problems-seem-to-persist/
<http://www.hondaproblems.com/problems/transmission-failure.shtml
<http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.php/news/main/3042/event=view
<http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/03/honda-odyssey-owners-report-transmission-troubles-inconsistent-response-from-maker.html
new york times??? edmunds??? consumer reports??? don't see anything from troll st journal though so they must all be hoaxes.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 5/9/2011 8:17 PM jim beam spake these words of knowledge:

<http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/honda-transmission-problems-seem-to-persist/
<http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/03/honda-odyssey-owners-report-transmission-troubles-inconsistent-response-from-maker.html
Colonel, you must be new here. No facts ever refute the beamer. But he *is* cute!
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"This has to be a tough call for the environmentalists around the world.
They're scrambling now to blame this on global warming...Much of the
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message wrote:

Who? Kia or Honda?
'cuz, Honda is right there at 1989 Hyundai levels as we speak.
Read the comments with interest, but I think Honda has hit a slump or perhaps they have marked time while others caught up. Consider the quirky styling of the Acura line. The Cross-tour is another example that I really don't understand. The Accord and the coupe are now fat and ponderous looking. On the other hand the Fit is just right. The new Civic is -- bland -- does not achieve the same impact the last model did when it came out. The Hyundai Elantra on the other hand is more interesting. I remember in 1968 at the Tokyo Motor show ( I was in the USAF at the time) looking at the Honda CB 750 on a revolving pedestal and thinking-- WOW! It was just that -- bold -- a 4 cylinder in line motorcycle with a disc brake for around the same price as one would pay for a Triumph Bonneville. It was not commonplace. I don't see that anymore in Honda. The S2000 was perhaps the last real gasp.

Four people I personally know were considering Honda, but bought Hyundai: three bought Hyundai Sonatas, and one bought a Kia Soul. A fifth was interested in the Toyota Yaris, but purchased a Hyundai Accent instead.
All said they were impressed with Hyundai's content, and said you could not beat that content for that price.

I think it's more than that: I think it's simply price-for-content. Looks, or what happens five- or seven-years from now, does not seem to matter to most; it's the purchase price that seems to mean most to most buyers. Hyundai/Kia is as cheap as it gets, and Hyundai/Kia are now familiar enough with buyers that they're tending to consider those brands to be competitive with Honda.
Honda has got to be worried.
--
Tegger

They are worried, actively worried, about Hyundai/Kia--and they are desparately, in a panic, doing any random things they can to try to attract those very customers.
3 years? That's all you need to worry about. And that's how Honda is building their cars.
Honda is the new GM/Ford/Chrysler, all over their inability to compete with Hyundai/Kia to their satisfaction.
One wonders if Honda even has the ability anymore to be what they used to be, or if they've lost it over the last ten years during the triple-punch of Hyundai competition, the downturn of the economy, and--going back 15 years now--their turning of the company over to the beancounters and away from the engineers.

I wonder how Subaru reliability compares to Honda models. Any data on that? I don't mind if it is only anecdotal.
With all the citing of the decline of Honda, what brand do you folks otherwise now recommend? I want to be prepared ahead of the time when I will need a new car. I was figuring on someday buying my fifth Honda, but.... ?

yeah, you and me both.
I dunno. Toyota is doing well for me, but I hate the dealer support in my area.
Subaru has an extremely loyal following, but hell--so did Honda.
Mazda maybe...
Certainly not VW, or M-B. The Germans make GM look like...Honda.
I have some inside word that the Honda brand has really been the one to take the hit--that Acura still does it right. Mebbe. But damn, they're fugly. Well, maybe you can't have everything.

One thing I liked about Toyota dealer service over Honda was that Toyota gave you a loan car and Honda did not. That was a great convenience and I did not feel Toyota service was more expensive to compensate for that.

That was neither Toyota nor Honda, but the DEALER you dealt with. The company that owned the Toyota dealer had a policy of giving customers a free loaner, while the owners of the Honda dealership did not.
Once the automaker sells the car to the dealer, they do not much care what the dealer does with it afterwards.
People, please, try to remember this: the dealer is NOT--repeat--_NOT_ the automaker! Dealer owners simply lease FRANCHISES from the automaker. Otherwise they are totally separate entities.
See here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchising The Wiki page deals only with restaurants and service industries, but the concept (and legal environment) is identical when it comes to retailing branded-products such as cars.
(Mercedes is an exception to the above, so don't try and make a connection between Mercedes dealerships and those of other automakers.)
--
Tegger

OK, granted. However in my area all Toyota dealers seem to do it so I assume the reason being some kind of Honda corporate program that entices the dealers to offer loaners.

All the Honda dealers in my area (Poughkeepsie, NY area) have loaner fleets.

Maybe next time I mention this to a local Honda dealer here. But I know what their answer would be: I could rent a car from them from their rental fleet. :-(

as Tegger said, that's a local thing.