Looking for tips / guide to max. mileage for hybrid

Seems to me that there's surely an FAQ out there for owners to fine tune their use patterns and driving style to increase the hybrid's mileage.
I find it odd that there's no direct input for drivers to influence the
car's behavior, eg:
- resume the econ-stall, after you're obliged to inch forward in sto-&-go traffic.
- initiate the econ setting, even though the car is cold (driver is willing to wait for heat).
- different setting for the auto-thermistatic heat for windows open and closed.
- get the A/C *not* to turn on after the defroster has been turned off.
Any tips out there?
Thanks, - Gary Greenberg