New 2010 Honda Civic EX coupe--VANDALIZED after only ONE MONTH of ownership

Page 3 of 3

Cars are too uncomfortable to sleep in unless you're drunk.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Your're just not accomplished in the art or snoozing anywhere, anytime, anyhow.
Being retired, I have lotsa time to practice!
JT

The thieves stripped everything to the rotors.
While the car is in the body shop, I rented a car. The rental car guy told me that in our town, he's seen plenty of ancient Honda Civics with suspiciously brand new tires and brand new wheel covers. He's positive that these were stolen wheels and covers.
-- Steven L.
Steven L. wrote:

Buy and drive a beater for everyday use.
Keep the "good" car in a safe place.
If in a state like Texas, be on the alert and keep the Glock 19 handy.
JT

it's deliberate to leave the car on the ground. I've seen it on many cars that had their wheels stolen. they take the jack to leave no evidence,even take the lug nuts.

Locking or keyed lug nuts can be removed; Harbor Freight and Advance Auto both sell devices specifically made to remove locking lug nuts,they fit on a 1/2" breaker bar. Advance Auto also sells "slim-jims" to open your car door without keys.
Just remember that once the alarm goes off,the police will take some time to arrive,after you've spent several minutes answering the 911 operator's many questions and repeating them over and over.     (when seconds count,police are minutes away) the 911 operator will want to know how many thieves,what race,what are they wearing,what color,make,model and license number of the vehicle they're driving.
One other thing; Honda often routes the hood release cable through the left wheelwell,thieves tear out the plastic wheelwell,cut the cable and pull it with pliers to unlatch your hood,then when they open the hood,a second thief quickly cuts the wires to the alarm siren/speaker. The alarm only sounds for a second,not long enough to waken you at 3:30 AM.
That's the typical time frame when "Midnite Auto Parts" strikes;after the bars close and the drunks have gotten home,but before people begin rising to go to work.
Also,you may need to make a shield to cover the hood latch itself,because the thieves also can use a wire hook to reach under the front bumper and pull the latch wire;there are websites online that show how.
I have had lots of experience with such thieves... :-( My 94 Integra GS-R was burglarized for the ECU,then a few years later,stolen,stripped and torched.A friends Integra was burglarized and stripped in the manner I described about the hood latch. Thieves also pried off the Acura name,GS-R badge and Acura symbol from my car's hatchback.They are not cheap. I did not get the fuel cutoff switch installed in time to prevent my car's theft.My alarm did wake me to see them push-starting it and to hear the alarm fade in the distance as it went down the street,already out of sight. (a gated apartment community,too.) "Gone in 60 Seconds" was accurate. My Integra did not have the Immobilizer key system that newer models have.
If you decide to go out to confront them yourself,be prepared. some of these thieves are armed,and there's usually more than one of them.

Garage the car,if possible. Or get wheels and tires that have no value. no fancy,low profile tires/rims. forget about replacing the hubcaps.
there's really no other way to keep the wheels from being stolen again.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ah, so that's why they took the lug nuts and left my car on the ground.

Thank you. This was very good information.
I do have Lo-Jack installed, which should help if the car is stolen. But obviously not if all they do is steal the tires and wheels.
-- Steven L.
On 08/06/10 23:19, Steven L. wrote:

Buy a new jack for every car they rip off? Forget it, too expensive! You're not thinking like a businessman! :)
As you know, they don't work neat, either, they'll easily do $1,000 or more damage to your interior heisting your $1,000 radio (or used to, modern Honda radios have no value if stolen without the code, but my point remains).
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:05:54 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

I must be lucky, 20+ years never locked my cars (outside on single home driveway) and never had anything stolen...even left my wallet on the driver's seat a couple times. Nice cars too, Integra and Accord.

I'll bet you don't live in the same town I do.
I live in a gritty, working-class, Massachusetts town, with lots of immigrants of various nationalities.
-- Steven L.
Steven L. wrote:

I remember a study I read about in one of my college psych courses. They took two identical late model cars and parked them on the street in neighborhoods with similar middle class demographics, one on the east coast and one on the west, opened the hood to make them look like the owner was having car problems and had gone for help, and hid in the bushes to see what happened. The east coast car was completely destroyed (stripped and set afire) in just over 24 hr. They watched the west one for two or three days and the only thing that happened was someone stopped and closed the hood when it started to rain. This was done in the 60's so it might be different today.
MM wrote:

Things are wholly different than in the 1960's.
JT

Yes,that guy IS lucky. I note he didn't say WHERE he lives.... BTW,I used to be stationed at Hanscom AFB outside of Bedford. 1972-74. I drove a 68 English Ford Cortina GT at the time,great car,fun to drive. And the base had an Auto Hobby Shop to do repairs and maintenance. THAT I really miss.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Mat wrote:

Where do you live? Please be specific.
JT
(Might be changing occupation)
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 18:58:26 -0500, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

suburb of Vancouver, Canada. Google earth V4C6X6
Mat wrote:

Nope, too wet and cold.
I would prefer maybe Ponhpei or Mauritius...
JT
I know this is extremely devious, but leave a bottle of Dom Perignom (sp) wine on the seat in a bag, but don't forget to inject cyanide liquid or botulism toxin through the cork, and then seal with wax "for their enjoyment later". Make sure you buy everything in cash at a place which is not where you live currently. Watch the news and see if theres a report about a group of people at a chop shop who die due to cyanide poisoning etc. You can probably obtain syringes at most pharmacies now if you pose as someone who uses narcotics and as for the Cyanide...jewelry company or chemical companies. The botulism is going to be hard to find, but you can create your own by letting boiled potatoes ferment and spoil for a while.
Note: This is just for fun, I'm not really condoning this type of behavior, but it would be funny. :)
I have very little tolerance for people who like to get a free ride in life and don't believe in working.
Jill
On 08/06/2010 02:47 PM, Steven L. wrote:

wheel locks are next to useless - the damaged nut removers you get at sears and other tool outlets will all get those things off in the same time as a normal wheel nut.
as for theft, there is no definitive solution if you live in a dodgy neighborhood other than driving a dodgy vehicle that blends in. either move, or put your money into something that looks like a beater but isn't - the stealth approach.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I would modify your statement to say "wheel locks are worse than useless."
I've had them on three vehicles and the experience has been horrid in two out of three cases. One time I had the damn tire store steal the key! The key was cabled to the log wrench, and the tire store cut the cable and then conveniently lost the key......at least that is what they claimed when I accused them of stealing it when I went to check the brakes the next month. After a lot of bitching, they used a tool to take off the lock nuts and they replaced them with regualr lug nuts. When I got a Nissan Frontier with the lock nuts, the first thing I did was take them off and heave them in the trash. Problem solved.
Ed
On 08/09/2010 08:39 AM, C. E. White wrote:

your problem would be solved if you didn't pose as a farmer when you're actually a detroit shill.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum