Old Accord turn signal

Hey all,
I've just come across this place and hope you can help me out! I've got an '81 Accord hatch and the turn signals have recently stopped working. Working the indicator stalk has no results; nothing on the
instrument panel, no clicking sound, none of the external lights flash. Putting the hazard lights on, however, works fine with all bulbs lighting. I've looked a bit into this and the fuse looks fine - I swapped it with another fuse of identical rating to check, and no difference.
A mechanic friend of mine said it sounded like the flasher can and showed me where to find it - the little metal drum that the clicking indicator noise comes from. He suggested there would be one can for indicators and another can for the hazard lights, and at the very least I could swap the two around until I could find a replacement part. Well with only the hazards working I could only locate the hazard can by following the sound, but I didn't see any similar can near it - rather, there are two larger cans tied to the hazard can by a couple of rubber rings, one of them looks to be bolted to the underside of the dash, but they don't look interchangeable at all.
So I guess I'm wondering where to go from here. Is there a way I can narrow the problem down to either the stalk assembly, the indicator can or something else? I just want to know what's causing the problem before I start looking for replacement parts.
Cheers, Philip
On Oct 1, 11:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Little help?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote in wrote:

The headlamp/parking/turn signal switch assembly is just a mechanism that selectively supplies ground to various wires depending on the settings of its levers and turn-switches.
One big wire (probably white) supplies the power. The others distribute the power to the accessories. If you don't have a wiring diagram (could be tough to find at this late date), you will be reduced to removing the switch from the steering column and studying how its contacts are set up. Sometimes you can see the circuit board, sometimes not.
You would be using a multimeter to check for continuity between the feed wire and the various contacts that are closed as switch is set to its various positions. Contacts can be corroded, wiped away, or insulated by ancient grease that has hardened so terminal contact is prevented.
Use your multimeter to also find the power feed. Turn the key to "II", then probe each wire to ground, looking for the 12VDC feed(s).
I do not know how you would check the flasher can(s).
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks heaps for replying mate. I guess the first thing this tells me is it's probably not the flasher can - if there's only one to be found, the hazards and indicators must be sharing it. So I reckon I'll take the wheel off and have a look at the switch assemby - I don't have a multimeter and probably wouldn't know what to do with it if I did, but at the very least I can figure out which contacts and which wires I need and go from there. I've got an old Gregory's manual for the car which will help, it's just not exactly pitched at my level of ability. This gives me something to kick off with though, thanks a million!
-Philip