Radio Stopped Working in 2000 Honda Civic

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

Yes, I do have an antenna. I think it gets a little more static-y. I'll check it when I'm out later and let you know.
Linda

P.S. When I was trying to get it to work -- which now, it still is, with a little static, although I have left it on one station and not tried pushing any of the buttons -- I jiggled the antenna and it didn't make a difference. But I'll see what happens when I just touch it.
Linda
"Linda" wrote

What you've just described is good diagnostic information, but just what, I have no idea. ;-) It sounds as if the radio still has sensitivity, but to local RFI (radio frequency interference) generated by power lines, etc., as well as what may be alternator whine. Does it do this/does it receive no radio signals on both AM and FM? You really have to locate the antenna cable that connects to the back? of the radio. It is the thickness not of a "ballpoint," but of a pen or pencil. Until you find that and pull it out from the radio and push it back in (to help determine if something in it is loose or broken), you really won't know if the radio is "gone" and needs to be replaced. Summarily replacing it is not what you're wanting to do. If the problem is in the antenna and/or its cable, then a new radio won't work, either.

A ballpoint is a pen

It does not receive signals on AM or FM.
I need to figure out where the cable is. Maybe I can find a diagram online somewhere.
Thanks!
Linda

How long have you owned this car?
Did this just suddenly happen?
Is this an aftermarket radio? (won't say "Honda" on it)
Does the car have any of the following?: - remote starter - aftermarket alarm - aftermarket speakers or amp - aftermarket antenna - any other aftermarket accessories or lighting?
--
Tegger

Answering your questions:
- I don't know if it's aftermarket -- but I'm guessing it's Honda. It is the radio that came with the car, and I purchased the car new from a Honda dealer. I don't think it says "Honda" on the front, but I'll check.
-- It does not have a remote starter.
-- No aftermarket speakers or amp, I don't think. The speakers are the ones that came with the car.
-- Same with the antenna -- it's the one that came with the car.
-- No other aftermarket accessories, if by that you mean things I installed after I purchased the car. It's all the things that were installed when I purchased the car.
I don't mean to sound dense or anything. As you can tell, automotive issues are definitely not my area of expertise. :-)
Thanks!
Linda

ALSO ... I just looked on the Best Buy web site, and none of the car stereos listed will fit my car. So I guess I will have to look elsewhere.
Linda

Just wanted to add that I appreciate all the advice and suggestions you ALL are giving me!!!

Every stereo at Best Buy, with the exception of any that are specifically for GM or Chrysler (known as "Din and a half" sized) Will fit your car.
For checking the antenna lead to make sure it is in tight, pretty much anyone (you or someone you know) who is somewhat competent with a screwdriver can check this, just requires a little patience.
This page should show you the how to take the radio area apart and put it back together... http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/Accord.asp
A better resource for what fits or doesn't is http://www.crutchfield.com /. If you have to buy a new radio and don't want to pay for installation, they are also good to deal with for that as well. Yes, you can beat there prices by shopping around, but they also include detailed instructions for installation in your specific car and any kits or wiring harnesses needed (elsewhere will charge extra for these accessories) and their support for the novice is priceless.

com:
I'll check back with Best Buy. When I went online, it asked me to enter in my car model and year, and then all the listings had the graphic that said they did not fit my car. But I'll do some additional exploring. Maybe if I go to the store, someone can advise me -- if it turns out I have to replace the radio.
Thanks!
Linda

Your car takes what is called "double din". All stereos at Best Buy (in fact almost all stereos ever, except ones of extreme over length) other than ones specifically for GM and Chrysler (the aforementioned "din and a half") will fit. Having a "double din" opening means the installation kit for a "standard single DIN radio" will include a cover or pocket for the extra space above or below the new radio. A "double din" stereo will not require such a mounting kit.
Not being able to get even this most basic information out of Best Buy should give you a good idea as to if they should be trusted or not... For car stereo knowledge, this is pretty much 101 info.
If you actually go to a Best Buy (or pretty much any place that carries car stereos) you will see these installation kits as well as wiring harnesses (so you don't have to hack up the cars factory wiring). As mentioned earlier, Crutchfield provides all that for no additional cost.
So, based on what I think you said earlier about wanting to retain having a tape deck crutchfield has 4 that will fit. $50 to $269 (the $269 unit comes with a CD changer to mount in the trunk or under a seat).
That same $50 stereo bought at most retail places you would also have to get a wiring harness (about $8) and a mounting kit (about $15). Then pay for installation. Using the instructions that Crutchfield provides (and you can preview what they are like by looking at the installdr.com web site I listed earlier) you see that basic tools are all that are needed to perform this yourself (or a neighbor or friend who is mildly handy).
All this of course assuming it is the stereo and not the antenna. But again, using basic tool knowledge and the installdr.com website you (or a friend) can pull the radio yourself and make sure the antenna is secure.

<snip answers>
So, no modifications to the car's electrical system. That's good.
Static and poor reception is often caused by a bad or loose antenna connection. They don't /usually/ go bad on their own, but it can happen, so it's unwise to replace the radio until the antenna has been ruled out as the cause of the problem.
If a competent garage/audio installer inspects the antenna connections, and maybe swaps in a different antenna temporarily, and the problem is not fixed, chances are the radio itself is bad.
Aftermarket replacement radios are fine...IF the installer uses the correct add-in harness to make his connections to the new radio. That way he does not cut into the factory wiring.
Do not skimp on installation, but use a professional. Amateur butchers can really make a hash of the electrical system! The only times I've ever seen electrical problems on a Honda (that were not caused by corrosion or abrasion) has been when electrical modifications were performed.
--
Tegger

Thanks.
I need to figure out if it's the antenna. Since my mechanic doesn't do that, I'll have to figure out who to take it to.
I am going to add an update at the end of the current messages -- about something that happened this morning with the radio. Makes me think it's a connection problem. If you'd like to keep up with my story, please see the update. :-)
Linda
Hi Linda:
Here is a link with some photos/diagrams on the 00 Civic radio antenna installation. Hope this helps.
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=141676
As for shopping for a new radio (if needed) you can go to www.crutchfield.com, then go to "outfit my car". punch in the car information, and it will bring up the available radio-cassette systems and CD-radio systems that will fit your Civic. You can buy from them, or lookup the model numbers in BestBuy or ABC warehouse, and you may find the same models available from them as well. Price is pretty much the same from Crutchfield or the Big-Box stores.
Good luck!

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 16:48:09 -0800 (PST), Priyantha Mathupala

I think this thread has pretty much run its course.