2005 Honda Accord w/106,000 miles (almost)

Hi,

I have a 2005 Honda Accord with almost 106,000 miles on it. I'm due for an oil change soon, but what other service items should I be considering?

A co-worker of mine suggested the timing belt & water pump. Are these expensive repairs?

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary44

What does it say in you owner's manual?

Reply to
MLD

The big fat book in your glove box clearly spells this out. At 105,000 or 7 yrs (or whatever your book actually says, my older Accord was a different year) you are due of the timing belt change. Usual wisdom is to do the water pump at the same time.

How much it will cost depends on if you are going to a dealer, independent and where you are located.

Reply to
Seth

"Gary44" wrote

As others have said, read the manual. And, your car has a timing chain, not a belt, and doesn't need to be replaced, and likely doesn't need any adjusting.

Reply to
Howard Lester

"Howard Lester" wrote in news:ikk3rn$cn6$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Only if it's a 4-cylinder!

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote

AH! As is mine! (The 6-cylinder world is to me a "foreign country.") ;-)

Reply to
Howard Lester

"Howard Lester" wrote in news:iklc4v$idk$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I've never owned a six of any kind.

I've owned all kinds of 4-cylinder cars, one V8, and one rotary, but no sixes.

Reply to
Tegger

By rotary, do you mean as in Wankel? I often wondered what they were like in use. How did you find it?

Reply to
Tinkerer

"Tinkerer" wrote in news:iklpbo$cqd$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

The very same. I had a very early 13B in a 1974 Mazda RX-4.

Exactly as smooth as they claimed. Very strong from about 4,000rpm up to the rev limit of 7K, and beyond; in their day, rotary cars were very quick compared to the competition. Lousy on gas. I still have my gas-fillup booklet, and I see I never got much more than 19mpg.

There were certain...quirks...that had more to do with the engine controls than the engine itself. The quirks were a bit annoying but, for me, made the car interesting to own.

Reply to
Tegger

Much more expensive if you don't do it. 7 years or 105k miles for timing belt for this year. Pump is done not on a regular schedule, but as a convenience, since it is easy to access when changing the belt.

Reply to
Stewart

They are part of routine matainance. Not replacing them will result in an expensive repair.

Reply to
clams