Re: GM is missing the point again

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:17:23 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

IOW, it is just a number you pulled out of your ass. Thanks for confirming that.

If God have intended for JD Powers or Consumer Reports to think for you, he wouldn't have given you a brain. All cars built today are pretty much equal, and have been for a long time. Continue to buy your Japanese products, I'll buy my American, which for some reason, does not break down nor get recalled at nearly the rate as these "perfect" Toyotas do. (BTW, is it my opinion, or does EVERY NEW GENERATION Camary look more ugly than the one before it?)
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:08:28 -0700, coachrose13 wrote:

It's just that some are more equal than others...
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:08:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Neither JD Power not CR constitute thought. They are information, data if you will. Thought is the brain's process for interpreting data.

Just as you shouldn't confuse data with thought, you shouldn't confuse unsupported assertions with data. CR data shows that there are big differences in reliability among the cars on the market.
Unfortunately, CR changed their reporting a couple years ago and it is now harder to determine exactly what the failure rates are. One assumes they are not much different from what they were before the change. Some domestic and German 5-7 year-old cars have 5 or 6 problem areas where failure rates exceed 10% or even 15% per year, not to mention less than stellar rates in the other areas. There are some domestics with reliability records which are not terrible and some are equal to the second tier Japanese manufacturers. 5-7 year-old Toyotas and Hondas seldom have any area with worse than 5% failure rate. and many areas have less than 2% failures. With 14 different systems, and a few years of ownership, this difference really adds up.

Yeah, I continually buy one every eleven or twelve years.

This is what is known as the straw man argument. No one claims that Toyotas or Hondas are perfect.

Yes, it is your opinion. A fact would be that every generation sells better than the one before it.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

Hmmm. Recall rate... I have an 06 Si. No recalls yet, and not a single service visit. I've never had an American car with that kind of reliabilty. A few oil changes in 20,000 miles, and a tire rotation.
Yep, that damned Japanese reliability just sucks...