Window Tint

I had to pickup my girl from the autoshop tonight, and around 11pm I was pulled over by this cop. I really never paid any attention to the tint in my new car, which I bought from Florida.

The cop placed this device over the window, and it said my tint was

25%. I live in Georgia, so he said it has to be 32%

He said the back window, and the side windows are fine, but the front windows need to be redone. Now of course, if I change the two front windows, they will not match the rest of the car, and look completely stupid. Is there anyway I can go around this?

I actually enjoy having my windows a little dark, it keeps the sun out of my eyes early in the morning when I am going to school, and work. Plus, people cannot see what is inside my car, unless they have their eyes stuck to the glass. I carry my laptop with me, so they cannot see it.

I do not see why they have laws on tint, what is the reason for it anyways? just as long as the person can see. The sun just hurts my eyes.

Thanks

Reply to
mopa

Plus, ____ people cannot see what is inside my car, ___ Not even the 9mm Uzzi____unless they have their eyes stuck to the glass.

___________________

It's so the police can see who / what's inside, and whether their picture is on the posters at the Post Office. Don't feel singled out. Its for the protection of everybody.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

can't you just drive with your eyes closed? or have you ever considered sun glasses? especially at night - it looks phat. but no one can see how phat you really are if your glass is tinted...

Reply to
jim beam

Having a different level of tint on the front windows does not look stupid, it blends nicely into the rear windows. The way around it is to keep your windows tinted the way you have them now, and drive so as not to draw attention to yourself or your vehicle. If no one 'sees' you, then no one will write you a ticket.

The reason is to protect the LEOs when they approach your vehicle and wonder if you're reaching for a weapon.

Reply to
Brian Smith

"mopa" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

yes,get the whole car retinted to what's required for the side windows.

No,its not that,it's so police can see you when they approach for a traffic stop,for their safety.

try sunglasses.

Florida has a regulation on how dark the front side windows can be(the back sides and rear windshield can be darker),but it's often ignored,and police do not often cite people for it.When I got my new 86 Prelude tinted,the shop put a sticker on the door frame attesting that the tint was within code.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Your girlfriend is a mechanic or doing the mechanic? Tell the cop you have lasik and this is a health necessity.

I know, I know what your are all saying. And yes, it is the law, it is unfair that we must live in a society where a few bad souls have to ruin it for the rest of us. I like Florida's law as they have one of the best laws when it comes to tint, and MI/NY has it the worst. It is not even allowed, 100% illegal to have any tint.

" Tell the cop you have lasik and this is a health necessity. "

That is a good one, I should use that. I carry a few thousand dollars worth of electonics in my car, such as my notebook for school, I work hard for what I have, and not having people see my things, and why should "we" as consumers be told we should not be allowed have windows tinted. Yeah, some people may say, stop your whinning, but really, why should people have to take all their values out of their car, and place it in their truch every day, just so some fool does not steal our things. Like my mom always said "out of view, out of mind" what people cannot see, they won't try to steal.

I completely agree, but the fact is, even if tinting were illegal would that prevent shooting? I watch Cop's, I see the shootings, hell, I live here in Atlanta and we have plenty of it daily, yet none of these cards I see have tinted windows. This law has been passed since 1987.

Having a window tinted should be considered unconstitutional, so far the only US Providence that we own that has made this an unconstitutional law, is guam.

doing the mech? lol. No, my friend had to drop off her car at my buddies shop on her way to my house, so she dropped it off so when he go to work in the morning he could replace the CV's, and after I picked her up on my way back to my place, I was pulled over. Now, my car is black/black so even if I had no tint, the cop still would not have seen me. What is amazing to me is that the police department actually issues its officers little scanners for UVL scaning of tinted windows, to determ if a car has to dark of a tint.

Reply to
mopa

Tint is legal in NY. Just not dark tint on the front windows. I think 65% is the darkest, but don't quote me on that number.

Exactly where in the Constition is the right to drive on public roads? It isn't, therefore each state, who owns the roads, and their respective DMV decides what is acceptable or not. They also require proper lights to be functional, brakes to work, wipers to work, etc... All with the intention of the common good.

Without those scanners, how else would they be able to determine if it was over/under the legal limit? You really want it enforced by the officers naked eyes?

Reply to
Seth

Quoting Brian Smith: " Having a different level of tint on the front windows does not look stupid, it blends nicely into the rear windows. "

I am sorry, no it does not look stupid, that is if someone has the same tint, but on my windows, on the very bottom, I have the mirror effect. I know I could just remove all the tint, and get the 35%, but honestly, it is very hard to find someone who can do a great tint job. These windows were tinted perfectly, and why change something that is not broken?

:)

Thanks

Reply to
mopa

lol, no of course not, these devices must be new, or finally the local police departments must have now gave it to their offices. In the past they carried a stick that had different shades of tint, and messured it the old fashion way.

  • NO - No Film is Allowed " New York NO / NO/ NO/ NO / Law as of 1993

Note : Very strict law. Replacement glass that is tinted is allowed if and only if the original windows were tinted as well. Medical exemption is provided for with permission from Commisioner of Motor Vehicles. "

Reply to
mopa

"mopa" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

So that the police will not cite you for too dark a tint? At some point,the fines would exceed the cost of a new tint job,not to mention the hassles of being cited and paying the fines.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The website you quoted above is not the NY DMV, but rather looks like someone's personal website

Googling further, one finds a business quoting the NY DMV code as 70% (real close to the 65% I said from memory)
While I couldn't find it on the NY DMV site as they have no search function, the Amherst Police quote the numbers on their website as matching the above stated 70%
What I could find on the NY DMV website is the form "Application for Tinted Window Exception" which does quote the legal number for allowable tint also at 70% BEFORE waiver
So again, as I stated before, Tint *IS* legal in NY State. Your information is wrong.

Seth

You have to be careful with that logic. The government has taken that to mean you have also given up your bill of rights 2d,(rules specifically about guns in cars) 4th,(warrantless searches)

5th,("checkpoints" and mandatory breathalizers that force self incrimination) 6th,(DMV is an administrative agency acting without due process) 9th and 10th (federal laws controlling state and county roads). I think it is all unconstitutional. How can the government say I have the right to ride on a bus, in any seat I want, but I don't have the "right" to drive a car?
Reply to
gfretwell

You are mistaking rights and privileges. The Constitution says "All men are created equal". The bus example you use is not that one has the right to any seat they want per se, but rather that they are to be treated equally and without discrimination. Riding on a bus is a privilege that can be revoked with cause.

Driving a car is not a right. It is a privilege that is granted or denied in a non-discriminatory fashion (i.e. you must pass a proficiency test). To maintain your privilege to drive a car you have to maintain a certain standard of behavior (i..e. below a certain level of points, points granted for infractions of the rules of the roads). Do you want habitual rule breakers (allegedly posing as a public hazard) driving on the same roads as you and your family? The privilege to drive is more important than the safety of said public?

What specifically about guns in cars? All people have the right to bear arms. Yes, it is governed and registered and one must apply for a permit for certain guns in certain jurisdictions, but said permits are approved or denied (with cause) again, in a non-discriminatory fashion. the government must show cause as to deny your firearms permit. On any give Wednesday evening I have a firearm in my vehicle as I travel from my home to my Rod and Gun club where I shoot in a competitive trapp league. If I were to be pulled over for an infraction and the office asked if I had any weapons in the car I would answer in the affirmative. This has happened. The officer asked if he could inspect my vehicle and weapon, again I complied. Everything being on the up and up I continued on my way with my weapon and ammunition intact.

Again, driving a car is not a right. It is a privilege. As such, it is governed as such.

Reply to
Seth