Add NAV to 03 Pilot LX?

Is there a Honda kit to add NAV to my 03 Pilot LX? Is there an after market kit to add NAV that is less expensive or has better features? How do these systems get updated with highway and local construction details and map changes? I just got back last night from a business trip from King of Prussia, PA to CT and Mapquest was not reliable - cost me over an hour of night driving out of my way. Luckily I had an AAA paper map once I realized I let Mapquest gt me lost. Rocky.

Reply to
Rocky

Just get a portable GPS unit. I would never get a car with it built in. Too much electronic shit to go wrong. At least if something goes wrong with a portable unit, you don't have to take the whole car in for repairs.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Reply to
Rocky

I have a Garmin 2610 that I move back and forth between my motorcycle and Accord. My wife has a Garmin Quest in her van.

I HIGHLY recommend the Garmin 2610 (or anything in the 26xx or 27xx series).

I currently have in my vehicle (right next to my Garmin 2610) a TomTom700 but I don't like it as much (borrowed it from a co-worker to try out cause it has a Bluetooth speaker phone built in).

All of these units work standalone. You load the maps using a PC or laptop to the internal memory and then go. The Quest has 140mb of memory (non-upgradable) and I was able to load the detail maps for most of the tri-state area. My 2610 came with a 128 CF card which I upgraded to a 2gb and now have the entire US and Canada loaded.

Reply to
Seth

If you don't mind, could you tell me how complete the mapping and routing is for Atlantic Canada?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

------------------------------

Some stuff to chew through . . . . . Sign in and SEARCH for more in the archives.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Give me 2 locations to route between and I can simulate it and give you the route it came up with. Otherwise I really have no basis by which to answer that question as I don't know the area in question.

Also, check here ...

and click the link near the upper right (labeled City Navigator North America v7) for their online version.

Reply to
Seth

I see Costco has several on their website including the 7200 & the 2730 - I guess I would have to see a demo in person. eBay has many 2610 for a lot less. I have an old grey screen model that I used on my boat, but that required a paper map. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Try 1000 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia to 25 Teakwood Way, Moncton, New Brunswick and see what it has to say. Thanks.

Thanks for the link.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Not sure if this will cut-n-paste correctly...

  1. 1000MicmacBlvd 0 ft
  2. Get on Glen Manor Dr and drive east 4 ft 4 ft 00:00:00 337° true
  3. Take the Hwy-111 N ramp to the left towards Hwy-102/Hwy-118/Airport 0.323 mi 0.323 mi 00:00:48 52° true
  4. Take exit 4N to the right onto Hwy-118 N towards Hwy-102/Hwy-107/Airport/Truro 0.754 mi 0.431 mi 00:00:56 320° true
  5. Take the Hwy-104 W/Trans Canada Hwy ramp 56.0 mi 55.3 mi 00:51:32 352° true
  6. Take exit 452 to the right onto Ch Gorge/Gorge Rd 161 mi 105 mi 01:35:12
303° true
  1. Turn left onto Gorge Rd 162 mi 0.379 mi 00:00:39 289° true
  2. Turn right onto Mountain Rd 162 mi 0.716 mi 00:02:01 148° true
  3. Turn left onto Teakwood Way 163 mi 0.210 mi 00:00:55 294° true
  4. 25TeakwoodWay 163 mi 305 ft 00:00:32 296° true

The columns above are... Point# - Directions/Name - Distance - Leg Length - Leg Time - Course

The "Directions/Name" text for points 1 and 10 were not generated by the program, but rather by me. I created each location as a way point and that's what I named each waypoint. I then told it to route between the 2.

And that link is for what's in the database in City Navigator v7. The directions I posted above come from v6 (what came with my GPS back when I got it). Are they fairly accurate and a decent example of what you were looking for?

Reply to
Seth

The directions were close to being correct, but not accurate enough to rely on totally. For example, Glen Manor Drive does not run east from Micmac Boulevard towards Hwy 111. Also if a person would turn left from 1000 Micmac Boulevard, that would place you on Hwy 118 in less than 2000 feet. Otherwise the actual highway directions are fairly accurate.

I appreciate you taking the time to check this out for me, thank you very much.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Through experience I've found it to be quite reliable (all up and down the east coast from FLorida to NY). I doi know that sometimes it "seems" off, but rights itself pretty well. See if anybody you know actually has a unit you can borrow for a few days. That's the only way to really see one of these things in action.

Not a problem...

Reply to
Seth

Good thought.

Again, thank you.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I have an Acura TL wo/Nav now and bought Garmin 2620 while back and LOVE IT! I am trading the 04 TL for an 06 Accord EX V w/nav. Although the portable has been great having it onboard is just too much of toy to forgo. I was going to sell the 2620 but my wife said NO WAY first toy I bought in a long time that she decided wasn't a toy but a great thing to have soooo it goes into her 05 Accord.

George in NY

Reply to
George in NY

I ended up buying a Garmin street pilot c330 today - it works ok ONLY with waas enabled, but in town it tried to have me drive the wrong way on a one way street already, and it lost the satellites once too on a clear day with no obstructions. I have it mounted on my ash tray as the windshield on my pilot is too far away from my face for comfortable viewing distance. I paid $599 at west marine. they said it lists for $699 and is on sale.

I am a little disappointed on the slowness of the cpu for a streets only unit. I might return it - I expected better from Garmin for a June 2005 model, but I have not taken it on the highway yet to get a real feel for it. I wish I had this GPS went I drove 5 hrs out of state last month on a business trip. I got lost on mapquest. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky