2001 Elantra automatic transmission flare/slip

Hi.
My 2001 Elantra has had its automatic transmission replaced, and now it slipping/flaring intermittently when shifting from second to third. When I discussed it with the dealer, they indicated that the
transmission controller may need to learn the new transmission and to give it some time.
My question is, how long should it take the computer to "learn" the new transmission, and can this do permanent damage to it?
Thanks.
--
Bruce Guenter < snipped-for-privacy@untroubled.org> http://untroubled.org /

I'm sure that what the dealer really meant to tell you was: "Resetting the adaptive values and relearning the values for the new transmission, which would involve a brief test drive, is part of the service procedure for replacing the transmission. I'm sorry we didn't do this when we had your vehicle in for service. We can do it right now to rectify the situation if you'd like. It should take about 30 to 60 minutes."
Sorry for the sarcasm. It really troubles me when someone does a crappy job and then makes like it's not their responsibility to fix it. Once cleared, the values should reset after several 1-2-3-4 and 4-3-2-1 shifts after the vehicle reaches operating temperature. If they never cleared the old values, it could take quite a while. And yes, the shift flare is slipping the clutches in the transmission and is wearing them.
It's likely that the real issue is that your transmission computer needs to be reprogrammed. There's a technical service bulletin specifically referring to the condition you describe. It's bulletin number 02-40-001. If you don't have one, register for a free account at www.hmaservice.com and print out the bulletin. Take the bulletin to the dealer and ask them why it is they don't know about it.
And while you're at it, ask them why it seems to be your responsibility to reset the adaptive values on the transmission when Hyundai reimburses them for this as part of the labor operation to replace the transmission. TSB 06-40-005 should convince them you're correct on this matter, too.
The TCM is covered only for five years and 60,000 miles, so its reprogramming is your responsibility. But in light of the troubles you've had with this dealer's BS, you may be able to convince a manager to do this for you at no charge.

I wish.

Sadly, this is not the first time I have been unhappy with this dealer's service department, nor are we the first people unhappy with them (coincidentally, or not, also an automatic transmission problem).

As far as I understand, disconnecting the battery for several seconds should clear these values. I have done this (to reset the ECU settings) and the flare did not improve, even after driving for a while.

My car's VIN doesn't match the range listed in that TSB.
Thank you for your time.
--
Bruce Guenter < snipped-for-privacy@untroubled.org> http://untroubled.org /

Sorry about the reprogramming, Bruce. I just glanced through the TSB and assumed it would apply to all 2001s.
The applicable TSB then would be 03-40-015. I didn't mention it earlier because it specifically mentions first doing the reprogramming which I assumed would apply to your car.
According to the TSB, if the fluid is full, the reprogramming doesn't apply, the fluid temperature sensor is giving proper readings, and the adaptive learning has been completed (requires ATF temp of 122F or higher on your car), then the transaxle should be replaced to correct a 2 --> 3 shift flare.