Transmission slip

I've got a 2004 Chevy Silverado, 30,000 miles, automatic tranny. Still under warranty. I've noticed that occasionally, when the truck is completely stopped, that when I give it the gas, I don't go. Engine revs, and it takes a second or two for the tranny to kick in, and then I go. Checked the transmission fluid level, and its fine. Anyone have any ideas on this? Bad tranny?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
hawkk

<ajeeperman

Why do people ask these kind of questions ? It's under warranty. Take it to the dealer. If it were not, then I could see asking.

Reply to
kevin weaver

Reply to
none2u

Why do people bother to respond to these kinds of questions? If its such a hassle to respond, leave it be. If it were not, then I could see responding.

Reply to
hawkk

I'd change the filter and give it a try before I bothered the poor dealership.

Reply to
coolmech

I wouldn't do a damn thing to it while it is still under warranty. That's giving them wiggle room.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I have a 2004 Silverado Work Truck with a 4.8 liter motor and a 4-speed automatic transmission. I have experienced the nearly the exact same problem that you have described, except that my truck has been doing this periodically ever since I bought it with 3 miles on the odometer. I nearly always drive in the Overdrive "D" position, so I have no idea if the truck does the same thing in the "3" position.

In my case, I would describe the effect sometimes as a feeling of starting off in second gear and other times it feels a little like what you have described, "when the truck is completely stopped, that when I give it the gas, I don't go. Engine revs, and it takes a second or two for the tranny to kick in, and then I go." In all, the truck has done this intermittently around 10 or 12 times over the last 2 years. The truck has nearly 32,000 miles on it.

The first time this happened, I was entering an intersection after waiting at a stop light and the truck seemed to hesitate briefly in its initial acceleration, but I thought that I had inadvertently pumped the gas pedal a little bit. The next time this happened a couple of weeks later, I had been sitting for a minute at a red light. I the attributed the "hesitation" to either bad gas or dirty fuel injectors and ran some fuel injector cleaner through the system. This seemed to solve the problem.

Then, a while later, it happened again. This time, it was raining and I had been sitting at another red light. As I entered the intersection, I felt a slight stuttering in the forward movement of the truck, but I thought that maybe I had slipped a tire on the slick paint outlining the crosswalk. Since it was late at night and there was no traffic, I made two U-turns and went back to the same spot to see if I could duplicate the slipping effect. This time, the truck took off with absolutely no hesitation. Then the problem seemed to go away for a few months, only to return on rare occasion.

I have noticed the problem occurs only after waiting, with the transmission in the "D" position, for at least one minute; always at a red light. It has never happened in stop and go traffic on the freeway and it has never happened at intersections with stop signs. Apparently, the key to having it happen is remaining stopped for a while with the transmission in gear.

I am starting to wonder if the problem occurs concurrently with the operation of the air conditioning compressor. Last week when it happened, I had the defroster on, because it was raining. And I distinctly remember this happening when I had the air conditioning on last summer and I probably had the defroster on the rainy night that I went back to the same intersection and tried to duplicate the problem.

Anyway, I'm glad that you posted this, because now I know that I am not the only one who has experienced this problem. Of course, I hesitate to take the truck to the dealer, because I know that it will be nearly impossible to duplicate something that is as intermittent as this. I do intend to ask the dealer if a problem like this might turn up when the trouble codes are run.

When I purchased the truck, I also bought the GM 5-year, 100,000 mile extended warranty. It seemed like a good idea to buy it right away, since it would cost more 3 years later and I couldn't buy it then at 0% down and 0%,

60-month financing. You have until 3-years, 36,000 miles to add the warranty on to your truck. The cost of the warranty will certainly be less than the cost of a new transmission.
Reply to
One-Shot Scot