2002 Sonata GLS: Pushing the A/C button but A/C does not turn on. What can I check?

I know I used my A/C as late at October of last year and it was working fine. This weekend, I tried to use it but when I push the A/C button (which did light up) I did not feel the usual initial engine
strain associated with it and did not feel the air from the vents get cold. It's as if the A/C does not engage. I had recently changed the cabin air filter but this can't have anything to do with it as I have changed it myself on many occasions with no ill effects. Nothing was disconnected when I changed the filter and I was careful to ensure no wires go pinched, cut, or had come loose. Anything I should check first?
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
On 4/5/2010 11:22, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:

1.- Refrigerant level (too low). 2.- Compressor clutch (wires and fuse).
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 12:44:36 -0400, Vic Hyu Garcia

Thanks for the reply. My mechanic will be taking a look next week and give me an assessment.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Given the age of the car and the time lapse since last used, I'd take a WAG and say low refrigerant. Could be a clutch problems, but that is less likely, IMO. Yes, even though it has not been used, it can leak. Sometimes that allows the deals to dry and harden faster. Time to find a good AC shop, before the big rush on the first hot day.

Thanks for the heads up. I am surprised to hear that it could be low. My wife's 98 Corolla's A/C still run like a champ so I thought it was unusual for mine to be low (if it is). The dealership quoted me $169 + tax (leak test + recharge) and my personal mechanic would do the same for $100 cash. I do have a local A/C shop so I can always ask them what their rate is. Of course, if there is a leak, I understand that could mean big bucks to fix.
- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]