2003 Elantra question on starting

Today (raining all day) after work, I started my car and drove up to the door to load my stuff and shut the car off. After I was finished loading, I went to start the car again and nothing happened. The
radio, warning lights and all that came on, but no ignition or sound of any kind. I tried a couple of times, nothing. Then, I turned on the lights and tried again and it started. I think that was probably coincidence. I came home and shut off the car and re-started it a couple of times and no problem. Any ideas as to what could have caused this? It does have a factory alarm if that has anything to do with anything.

Shot in dark:
Do you have a manual transmission did you have the clutch fully depressed? If "Yes" and "Yes" there could be an issue with that switch.
No, it is an automatic.

Regarding the alarm, does the siren work? I've seen a couple cars that exhibited no crank conditions due to unnoticed alarm activation. The flashers were blinking but there were no other symptoms.
To check the siren, roll down a window and lock the car with the remote (you'll need to see the single hazard flash for verification of armed status). Then, reach in, unlock the door, and open it. The siren should sound and the hazards should be flashing.
I haven't tried it exactly that way, however once I accidentally locked the doors with the remote while I was still inside and opened the door. I did hear the alarm, but from the inside and it didn't sound very loud from where I was sitting. Is it louder from the outside? Also, is it supposed to "chirp" when you arm/disarm it?

I believe you'll hear a confirmation chirp only if you re-lock with remote immediately after the initial arming lock.